Search

Rome Planning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Planning

OK, I'm trying to book a tour with both Scala Reale and Scavi for our 15 day trip to Italy mid May. We are first timers. Starting in Rome, what are some other 'must see' tours, museums, restaraunts, or anything else that I won't want to miss that I have to book in advance? Thanks.

Jay
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:45 PM

The Villa Borghese is a "must-see" and must be reserved in advance.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:55 AM

In Rome now and took the Vatican Garden tour on Saturday....if you like gardens it's a lovely tour and a very different part of the vatican to see.....go to the vatican web site for times

www.vatican.ca

for times (it's not too frequent) and you can book via email at:

[email protected]
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:04 AM

The Borghese Gallery was the highlight of a three week Italy trip. It blew me away. If I were only able to see one thing in Rome, this would be it.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM
ira

>...what are some other 'must see' ...<

Where else are you going?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:58 AM

How long are you planning on being in Rome? If you have time, I would highly recommend a trip to Ostia Antica, a ruined port town. The train from Rome to Ostia was less than an hour and it was fascinating. If you aren't already doing Pompeii, its a great alternative.

When your in St. Peters, take the elevator and stairs to the top for amazing views of Rome.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Pompeii is farther than Ostia Antica but definitely worth a day trip, and I also agree that the Borghese is a must-see. I would also recommend the Domus Aurea. It's fascinating.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Just as an alternate viewpoint, I thought Domus Aurea was ok, not sorry I went, but I wouldn't make it a priority if time in Rome is short. I really didn't feel that there was that much to see. I've not found it to be as busy as other sites, you may want to decide after you get to Rome---your hotel would be able to book it for you for the following day if you decide to go.

I have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it and if your email can accept large attachments, email me at
[email protected]
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses, keep em coming. We'll be in Rome for 4 nights. I don't think we'll be taking a day to go to Pompeii, although thanks for the advice. Vatican/St Peters, Borghese, and Pantheon/Coliseum/Trevi seems to occupy most of our time there.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM

The Vatican Museums/St Peters can easily take 4-6 hours to see, the Scala Reale (now known as Context Rome) tour is 4 hours.
The Borghese Gallery is exactly a two hour visit, because that's how it is scheduled.
You go in for your timed 2-hour block of time,and then you leave to let in the next lot.

The SR/CR tour, at least when I took it, of the Colosseum and Forum was excellent, that was a 4 hour one as well, and the time flew by. The Pantheon can easily be seen on one's own, and you can combine that visit with a stroll from the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and general browsing and shopping, ending, if you like, at Piazza Navona.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM

How long the underground Scavi tour and is it claustrophobic?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM

The Scavi tour is 75-90 minutes. There are a few low ceilings and a bit of squeezing, but no big deal. The air is somewhat warm, humid, and unpleasant at times.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I agree with Elaine on the Domus Aurea; it was worth doing, but we've spent time in Rome, go back regularly, and it wasn't our first trip. This isn't a "don't miss."

About the Scavi tour: I think you are already booked with enough tours. Do you relish so much structured time? I don't; especially not in Rome, when just walking about is so delightful.

Mid- May will be such a nice time to be there; I AM clautrophobic, so haven't even considered the Scavi tour. I might do it in January, but it doesn't appeal for a first visit in May.

I went on the much lauded (but entirely different, I know) tour of Underground Seattle, and I was miserable. There was no wandering off, or breaking away early. We were underground until they brought us up. I hated it, mostly due to my claustrophobia. I don't freak out, but I am not comfortable underground.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Just FYI on sites that say 'reservations are a must': do make reservations in advance if you can, but if you do find yourself somewhere without a reservation and decide you really really want to see it...go first thing in the morning and very likely you'll be able to get a ticket. I arrived at the Villa Borghese just as it opened and was able to go right in. Was happy to miss the crowds and crowds of people showing up for their 'reserved' time. Did the same thing with the Domus Aurea. (I tend to be a last minute traveller.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

The Scavi tour was a fascinating highlight for me. I would not want to miss it.

Two places that are very interesting, but might not be must-sees, are Villa Doria Pamphilij (sometimes Pamphilii) and the Jewish Ghetto and museum.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Only planning on doing the SR tour for the Vatican/St. Peters. We're most like going to be doing the Scavi Tour as well. Wasn't planning on using SR for Colliseum/Forum or Borghese. Should I be?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:50 PM

IMO, yes!!
Or try Enjoy Rome, their tours are shorter and less expensive, I understand.
Without a guide, the Forum just appears to be random rubble.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:51 PM

I meant yes for the Forum and Colosseum, you don't need them for the Borghese, and an audio guide is available there.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions on tours besides Scala Reale? (and EnjoyRome). We're definitely doing the SR tour of the Vatican. Can't see my wife wanting to spend another 120e on SR tour of Ancient Rome. Any other tour/guides that are cheaper yet still good and informative?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Valentina from Enjoy Rome gave us a good overview on the Colosseum, Forum, and other monuments on the guided walk of Ancient Rome. She's an archeologist and tour guide. However, we didn't go inside the Colosseum. I just signed up for the regular 21-Euro walk with Enjoy Rome.

I think 3 Millenia is well-regarded and reasonably priced and goes inside the Colosseum. Look on SlowTalk.com if you can't find the info on a search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -