Search

Rome in 2 Days

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome in 2 Days

I know it isn't enough to see everything, but I know I will return someday. What are some of your suggestions of the places that you condsider the absolute must sees of Rome. Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Elsabet - The Rome APT (tourist office) website might be the best place for you to start.

It has an itinerary for seeing the highlights of Rome in 48 hours:

http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/en/main.asp

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Steve I never would have thought of that.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Are you more interested in ancient Rome (e.g. ruins, etc.), religous Rome, or the Rome you've seen in movies (e.g. the Spanish steps, etc.)

If I were you, I'd book a tour of the Vatican museum, St. Peters, etc. on one day and a tour of the Colleseum, etc. the next day, then look on a map to see what else is near by or on the way to those sights. I'd look at the Rick Steve's book for his night time walking tour, to get an idea of what can be seen at nighttime.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Elsabet the main thing when visiting Rome is to look at the opening times. If you have a strict time to keep to, then check before you go as things may not always be open.You haven't said what days you are going, as this may be a factor in what you can see. A day in the Vatican museum and St peters is a must and then the Colosseum and theRoman Forum The next. I have to say i was amazed at how walkable Rome is not as spread out as i thought !and if you use the metro everywhere is reachable... i spent 3 days in Rome and didn't see it all ( i don't think you ever can however many times you return !)But i'm flying back there next FEB to do a bit more!!! hope this helps emx
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM

If you're willing to wake up early and do a lot of walking, you can see a lot of the main tourist sites in Rome in two days and not feel overwhelmed. One day for St Peters and the Vatican Museum (usually shorter line for the museum in the afternoon), then a night time walk around Spanish steps/Trevi fountain. One day for Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, end up around Piazza Navona for dinner/people watching. I agree that Rick Steves' has some good Rome walking tours. Its an amazingly walkable city.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Start your day early at the Forum. Take the early English tour. Then walk over to colosseum and catch a tour at the doors.
You should finish before noon. You can then taxi to the vatican. The lines are now short. tour the museum using an audio tour. Finish about 3 or so.
Go to St. Peter's and catch a free (tips ok) English tour that takes about 45 minutes. Bus back to your hotel to refresh yourself.
Eat near the Piazza Navona and see Fiore and the Pantheon while you are there. IMHO this day represents the absolute musts.
Day two you have options based on your likes. LOTS of options.The Spanish steps and trevi can be seen in the evening.
I agree that it's not enough time, but I'd cram the first day in and not push it as hard the next. Just sitting at Navona and Fiori and watching people is an experience.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM

http://frommers.com/destinations/rome/0064020945.html

Here's a link to suggested itineraries from 1 to 4 days. Choose the bits that interest you most to create your own for the two days you have.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the input. I'm sure I'll figure something out some of you wanted to know dates I'll be there from the evening of June 22 to the morning of June 25. We're staying with one of my friends there for a night and I'm hoping she will be able to take us around, but I don't want to ask to much of her because she is also driving us to the airport on the 25.