Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What makes a great honey moon in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have got 12 days for my honeymoon. Which are the most romantic cities to see in France and Italy?

I am more of adventure sort but my wife is more relaxed. We don't want to see too many museums. We would like to have a mixture of fun and knowing culture.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Paris and Venice, hands down.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM

My husband and I honeymooned in London and Rome and we had such a wonderful and magical time. Today is our wedding anniversary.

May your time be just as wonderful and magical, which ever city you pick.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Depends on what you consider to be romantic. Paris, with the Eiffel Tower and intimate cafes or the wine country along the southern region of France?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Contrary to many others, I did not find either Paris or Venice romantic and these are two cities widely thought of for honeymoons. I have been to both 5x and never found the magic that others do.

So much depends on what you enjoy. For big cities, I love Rome. History, food, fun, lots to explore and good for daytrips as well.

For a different (and I think more romantic) experience, consider the Ligurian coast. Rapallo and Santa Margarita Lighure are lovely and appealing. You could combine that area with some time in Tuscany, especially if you enjoy food and wine.

I also find the Dolomites beautiful and special.

It all depends on how you define romance.

Congratulations and I hope your honeymoon is perfect, wherever you decide to go!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Paris Paris Paris

Be sure to walk across Pont Alexandre at dusk tres romantique
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM

I completely agree with PamEwing, Paris and Venice for cities. If you focus on Italy I would also add the Amalfi Coast which is stunning!

Congratulations to both of you!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Paris and Rome are what spring to mind. But I wouldn't do cities, if it were me 9and when it were me I didn't
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM

I think the important things are"

The right spouse
A slow-paced and relaxed trip (not rushing from point to point, having time to relax in a cafe with a glass of wine, stay out late walking through piazzas with floodlit fountains and sleeping late the next day with breakfast in bed or on your own balcony)
Nice hotels (tacky, noisy or bustling business hotels can ruin the entire trip)
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Only you can make the place of choice romantic!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I depends on your taste and maybe the time of year, but I agree with ILUVPARIS, the Amalfi coast and Venice would be excellent choices. The views from the Amalfi coast were stunning for our 30th Anniversity and watching a young couple getting married in the piazza as our water taxi pulled away into the Grand Canal in Vehice was a fitting scene for our 40th. Regardless of where you go, we wish you love and happiness.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM

I cannot believe that Florence has not already been mentioned and I can only assume that people have not yet been.

http://www.tuscany-villas.co.uk/phot...any-italy.html
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM

Maybe Florence has not been mentioned because it is flooded with visitors and overwrought (and I've been many times, and love the place). For an art lover, maybe, or make that two art lovers. And Paris and Venice, while two of my favorite places on earth, wouldn't make my list either. I'd choose someplace like Panicale in Umbria or Castelnaud-de-Montmiral in the SW of France, or the Harz mountains in Germany, or Lake Orta, or Essouira in Morocco, or the Mara Massai in Kenya. But the point is, only you can choose what's romantic for you.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi Fly,

Egad,

All of these jaded travelers and their out-of-the-way, off-the-beaten-track, far-away-from-tourists honeymoon ideas. There are reasons why the major tourist destinations are the major tourist destinations.

If you are going during the usual season:
Fly into Florence FLR, Pisa PSA or Rome FCO. Go directly to Florence.
3 nights in Florence

Train to Venice
3 nights

Fly www.myair.com from Venice VCE to Paris ORY.
(Be aware that myair is cheap, but baggage is not. Check the policy so that you won't be shocked)
5 nights in Paris

Fly home.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Dear Friends

thanks for your views. What i gather from your comemnts is that we should not waste our time in Southern France; Marseilles or Nice. Do you think there is nothing interesting there?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM

You are asking for romantic cities in your original post. Although I like Marseilles, I don't think that it would be the first city to come to mind when one asks for romance. Why not a lovely inn in the Provencal countryside, close enough to take a day trip to Nice?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Southern France has alot of beauty and interesting things.
lots of small Romantic hotels and B&Bs
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM

There's nothing at all wasteful about spending time in southern France; it's just that Marseille isn't exactly most people's idea of romantic. But Provence is certainly romantic.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
ira

Hey Fly,

>What i gather from your comemnts is that we should not waste our time in Southern France; Marseilles or Nice. <

What caused you to gather that?

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM

NyTraveler is definitely right Florence and Rome of course are nice and must-see spots for a reason, and they do have their fair bit of romance....but personally, I spent my honeymoon in a miniscule seaside town away from tourists and absolutely loved it. A big factor is what time of year you're going to be sure! If it's all wintry, Rome and Florence are good because there's plenty of indoor activity, but if it's a summer honeymoon you're planning, I would say Porto San Giorgio hands down. No tourists, clean beaches, wonderful seafood, lots of (summer) nightlife, great shopping, and low prices are just a few reasons mine was special. Of course you can always go to Sicily where warm weather is kind of a constant thing, and I would recommend Taormina. Wherever you pick though, congrats, and I wish you both many happy years and a lovely vacation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -