Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What kind of neighborhood is 19th arondissement?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter will be studying abroad next semester and attending a school on the quai de la Seine in the 19th Arondissement. She would like to live near her school, but I am concerned about finding a safe neighborhood. Can anyone help me with this? I've never been to Paris, so I am comletely naive.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Quai de la Seine runs along the Bassin de la Villette, a top of triangle formed by the Quai, Gare de l'Est and Buttes-Chaumont.The metros would be Stalingrad or Riquet.

That's the geographic part - someone else will have to speak to the environment part.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I haven’t spent a lot of time there, but the 19th arondissement (northeast Paris) encompasses a fairly large area and a variety of neighborhoods. The Quai de la Seine is a tree-lined avenue that runs along the Bassin de la Villette, just up from Boulevard de la Chapelle/Boulevard de la Villette, in the 10th, not far from Gare de l'Est. There are a number of schools and institutions in the immediate area.

The nearest metro stops are Riquet and Stalingrad, both on the No. 7 line, which follows Avenue de Flandre, giving your daughter has easy access to the area.

I hope this helps.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Where is she going to live for the semester? Student housing? Apartment? Does she have resources through her current school, or is this a completely independent study that you're arranging on your own..? What about resources at the Paris school- anyone there to advise students on appropriate housing?
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Quai de la Seine has become extremely yuppie in recent years. Lots of classy restaurants and bars have moved in, and it is home to perhaps the only cinema multiplex in the world which uses a small ferryboat to connect the two halves. Meanwhile, the Stalingrad-Riquet area is also both a major neighborhood of Orthodox Jews and devout Muslims, living in harmony.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM

While it's true that the neighbourhood is better than it was, I certainly would not want to live there. To visit the area during the day and on nice nights with friends is fine. Find the metro closest to the school and then look for housing further towards the center of Paris. It's always nice to know 2 areas of a city well.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is involved in a program where she and the other two students involved (whom she has not yet met) will receive guidance, but have to do everything themselves (it's been working well for 7 years, so that bodes well, and I am in touch with the person in France who will be coordinating and shepherding them through the processes). I just wanted to get some idea of the neighborhood where she would be studying, and where might be a reasonable area to find an apartment. I thank everyone who has responded so far; your comments are very helpful