Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite North Bavarian city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Struggling with where to go If we have 3 nights in Nuremburg as a home base and do 2 day trips from there, which 2 would you pick and why?
1. Bamberg
2. Regensburg
3. Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
4. Wurzburg

Thank you!
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:34 PM

I would definitely choose Bamberg as one of the day trips.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Ditto on Bamberg. Beautiful - UNESCO World Heritage listed. Altenburg Castle, Rauchbier, loads to do in the city center.

I like both Regensberg and Rothenburg O dT, but three nights is only two full days, so I'd leave the second full day for Nuremberg. Lots to see and do there. The Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds could fill the better part of day, and then there's the Imperial Castle of Nuremberg too. Hard to squeeze all Nuremberg sites into just one day.

Why stay in a place if not to see that place?

Haven't yet been to Wurzburg.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 01:18 PM

Bamberg for sure. All the tour buses go to Rothenburg but I just found it overpriced and overtouristed. Bamberg is the real deal. Also like Würzburg for the Residenz but Bamberg is prettier.

Regensburg has the world's oldest sausage restaurant (12th century), still in operation, but I otherwise found Regensburg unremarkable.

Lavandula
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 02:27 PM

I think your plan is (taking information from your other thread) to arrive in Nuremberg mid-day, so you'd have the remainder of that first day to see Nuremberg, then use Nuremberg as a base to see 2 other towns over the next 2 days before moving on. Is that right? As Melinq8 mentioned, that doesn't leave a lot of time for Nuremberg itself. I would be inclined to only plan 1 day trip so that you have a full day in Nuremberg - OR - if you aren't really interested in Nuremberg, stay the 3 nights in one of the towns you do want to visit and do a day trip to another town from there. Nuremberg does make a really good base for seeing the local area by train because it is a train hub and the train station is so well-located, but you can easily stay in another town instead. Train service in this area is really good. If you stayed in Bamberg, for example, you could easily visit Wuerzburg, which is just an hour away on the train.

You can check various train connections here: https://www.bahn.de/ The same train that goes from Munich to Nuremberg continues on to Bamberg, so getting to Bamberg is easy.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by scottulrich7333
Struggling with where to go If we have 3 nights in Nuremburg as a home base and do 2 day trips from there, which 2 would you pick and why?
1. Bamberg
2. Regensburg
3. Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
4. Wurzburg

Thank you!
What did you end up doing? I am planning a trip for my family for end of May/beginning of June and am trying to plan the exact areas and the exact amount time. Any tips/suggestions on how your trip went and what you did would be wonderful!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Covid cancelled

Originally Posted by sblack74
What did you end up doing? I am planning a trip for my family for end of May/beginning of June and am trying to plan the exact areas and the exact amount time. Any tips/suggestions on how your trip went and what you did would be wonderful!!!
Hi Sblack! I'm a bit sad as we had a 10 day Germany trip all planned in March 2020 and unfortunately 2 weeks before we were scheduled to leave, Covid shutdowns prevented the trip. I was hoping to get it rescheduled, but our parents who were going to watch the kids are older, our children are busier with more activities, and ultimately we decided it just wasn't going to work out at this time.

Our original 2020 plan was to visit Rothenburg ODT and Bamberg. I'm hoping that in a few years maybe we will be able to make a Europe trip happen with some quality time in Germany... and we'll bring the kids this time

Good luck with your planning!!
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 02:10 PM

As others said, take a day for Nuremberg and pick one other city for the other day. I wouldn't go to Wurzburg.