Favorite city in Bavarian Alps

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Justin

Favorite city in Bavarian Alps

I was wanting to spend 2-3 days in the Bavarian Alps absorbing Germany culture, food, beautiful landscape, and also beer, where would you go to do this or do you have a favorite city in this part and why. Also, if I am going to spend 4 days in interlaken and grindelwald would you even go to see the Bavarian Alps or is it pretty much the same? Thanks & take care! Justin

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:07 AM
xxx

We stayed in Etal with its beautiful monestary. It is close to Garmish with all that has to offer but much more quiet. Also close to the castles for day trips.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Thyra

Justin, though I am sure that there are many more quaint cities in Bavaria. My spouse (beer taster extraordinare!) and I loved Munich. If you enjoy a "party" scene with tons of beer Munich is your town.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Lee

Justin, Interlaken and Grindelwald are both beautiful, but Germany's towns are beautiful in their own right.

Towns rather than cities, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Ettal, Oberammergau and that entire region including Linderhof Castle are like no other. This is a beautiful area situated right at the base of the Zugspitze which will warrant a cable car ride to the top and to the glacier on the other side.

In Garmisch, you can visit several peaks in this area and take in the charming town which allows the farmers to parade their cows (with bells clanging) right through town when going out and returning from pasture. Nearby in Ettal, there is a beautiful basilica and close by also is King Ludwig's Linderhof Castle. Oberammergau is the charming town adorned with murals on nearly every building and is home to the Passion Play. All are certainly worth the trip.

I haven't mentioned the "other side" on the Austrian border to the east with the town of Bertchesgaden nestled in the Alps and Salzburg across the border in Austria. This is also a great area to experience.

Best of luck in your travels.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Ed

It's hard to compare the "Bavarian Alps" to the Jungfrau region south of Interlaken. This Swiss region is arguably the finest mountain area in Europe. The hills in southern Germany aren't really comparable.

But for goodness sake, don't stay in Interlaken, and, really, Grindelwald is no place to stay either. If you want the mountains, stay in Muerren, or Wengen as a close second. Smaller by far, more colorful, and wonderful sights.

Ed