Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite hotel or inn in Chianti?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like a recommendation of a hotel, inn or apartment/farmhouse in Chianti area.
Thanks
Old May 24th, 2003, 04:23 PM

There are hundreds. You really need to be more specific:
When?
How long?
How much?
Are you driving?
Old May 25th, 2003, 02:53 AM

We stayed at this farmhouse complex last year and just loved it; it's within 30 minutes drive of most sights and is well managed and gorgeous.

www.fontedemedici.com

Our house was Mamolo, one of the larger ones.
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Have a look at www.tuscany.net
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:31 AM

We also stayed at Fontedemedici and would agree with everything that was said about it. I would also like to advise folks that this is part of the Antinori Vineyard estate. We stayed here for a week last October. Since this is a working winery you will run the risk of sharing housing with visiting wine brokers. Our pastoral time was very much intruded upon by a group of Dutch wine importers who were drunker than lords and descended on the breakfast scene like locusts each morning. When we complained we were told there were always complaints about this group. The estate knew this group had been a problem countless times before yet booked them into housing of vacationing folks. Make certain, in whatever way you can, this will not happen to you.
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Also..when I say drunker than lords...think singing and yelling long into the early morning hours!
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! Our sleep is important and we would be there in Oct. around the 15th.

I forgot to answer one of the main questions that Bobthenavigator asked. We will be driving.
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

This is strange. When I read the messages I did not find my answer that I posted last night and then when I was replying I found it and I will paste it on this message as it only appears when I post a reply!
Author: Traveler2
Date: 05/25/2003, 02:54 am
Message: We will be in Chianti for about 3 to 4 days around the 15th of Oct. I still do not have our itinerary down. We might consider staying 5 to 6 days. We are driving, and preferably 4 stars or better, so price????????? Really do not want to spend a our savings!
Hope this is more specific.
Thanks.

Old May 26th, 2003, 06:10 PM

Stayed 3 nights at Relais Fattoria Vignale in Radda in March. A wonderful place. Check out their website.
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Markmcg: Do you have their web address?
Thanks
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:17 AM
marieb

markmcg: We have reservations at Relais Fattoria Vignale for Oct. They only had rooms available in the annex across the street. Do you know anything about those rooms? Are they the same as the main building? view of? Where was your room? How did you like the town of Radda? Is it nice to wander around in in the evening? Also how was the drive from the hotel to get back to the S222 to reach the nearby towns? Sorry so many questions. This is our first time to the Chianti region. Thanks.

Old May 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM

www.vignale.it.
I stayed in the least expensive room that they had - and it was very nice. The annex will be fine. The complimentary white wine that will be in your room when you arrive was the best white wine we had in Tuscany. Radda is very small, but pleasant. Great food at Restaurant Vignale and very good food at the Tavern. Very nice wine shops in town - the enoteca at Vignale has great wines and will ship anywhere. Their Balsamics were really good - the 5 year old was our favorite - and the best balsamic we tasted in Italy. ...On the small main street ( pedestrian only ) there is a tiny winery outlet - Caparsino - with very good wines. The little grocery at the end of that street has a small selection but the cheese and breadsticks we bought there were excellent....The road to S222 is very windy. but a good road. We drove it many times....Many small "Venditta Diretta " wineries nearby to drive up without appointment - lovely countryside to drive. Remember though - everything is closed from Noon to 3 ! A stop at Ceramiche Rampini nearby is highly recommended - really beautiful ceramics. Vignale will tell you how to get there....You will have a great time.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:07 PM
marieb

markmcg: Thanks so much for all the info. I was so hoping you'd see my post and respond. I printed your reply to save with our trip plans. This will be our third trip to Italy but our first to truly concentrate on 'la dolce vita' vs. non-stop sightseeing. We're looking forward to wine tasting, wandering and leisurely paced meals! You've made me feel more comfortable with our hotel choice. Thanks.

Old May 27th, 2003, 05:08 PM

markmcg - I am staying there too and in the annex, so I also appreciate the helpful information.
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:09 PM

We will be in Toscana the same time. We will be staying at these 2 places among others:
www.borgoargenina.it
www.lacosta.it

You may also like this one--I prefer not being in the heart of Chianti. Search and find Castel Bigozzi--it is also on the Tuscany.net site.

Good luck !
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

My thanks to all! I love it when many can get the answers to their questions in one posting. This will be our first time to experience Italy in the fall. I hope the grape vines still have their leaves on.
To Bobthenavigator: Do you know what the weather is generally like at that time of year? We have been there in spring.
You all have been very helpful!
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:20 PM

We stayed at Fattoria Il Colombaio, a luxury restored antique farmhouse, in the middle of an area rich with vineyards and century-old olive groves. There are 6 double rooms, 1 triple room and 2 appartments. Location is in Abbadia a Isola, 5 min. drive from Monteriggioni (on the road from Monteriggioni to Colle di Val d'Elsa). Perfectly quiet and centrally located.
Their website: www.fattoriailcolombaio.com