Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the dress code at Paris/Rome/Florence churches and museums???

Notices

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:15 PM
ezron

Someone just told my wife that her arms must be covered in order to get into some of these spots?? Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Ed

I think concerns about church "dress codes" may apply mainly to Rome. However, respect for religious sites is, hopefully, not out fo fashion.

What isn't appropriate is too much skin: e.g. shoulders, midriffs, legs. Short shorts are definitely out and we'd personally feel uncomfortable even in Bermuda shorts. What most of us wear for sightseeing is usually acceptable.

Do bear in mind that the basilicas of Rome are particularly important places of worship revered by hundreds of millions. Of course any religious building is a place of worship, and we should show respect for its congregation.

twenj

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Maurice

I recall the code in Venice churches generally was "no shorts for women". My wife wore a longer dress, but it was VERY hot - 35 or more (=100F) (June 1/99). I saw some clever Australian backpackers who had a wrap in their carry-bag (3 ft. by 6 ft?)that turned into a skirt, with a bit of velcro at the top to hold it in place. One was putting this on in the line-up to St. Mark's.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:33 PM
ger

Ezron:

I was in Florence just two days ago and saw signs in several churches asking visitors to not enter with skimpy tee shirts and shorts (this surprised me ) and saw several visitors turned away that were inappropriately dressed (yes, several churches had "dress police" manning the enterance).

In general, shoulders should be covered (male and female) in Italy, at least but probably all countries, when visiting churches as a mark of respect as they are all "working" churches (i.e. they serve a local congregation of worshippers and are not just historical monuments).

I always bring a cardigan with me and cover up before entering any place of worship and I never wear shorts if I plan to visit churches/synagoues/mosques.

Regards

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:10 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Deborah

The dress code is vigilantly enforced in both Rome and Venice, as it should be in my opinion. (Perhaps if we all remembered we are guests in someone's sacred place, dress codes would be redundant. When I was in Boston two years, I saw young women marching into churces wearing sports bras and skin-tight shorts. Where are MOTHERS when you need them!)

If I know I am going to be in churches, I through a gauze dress (which weighs almost nothing and doesn't wrinkle) into my daybag. A similar suggestion for men who prefer shorts is to buy a pair of the pants that have zippers so the lower pantlegs can be removed. Last summer men in shorts above the middle of the knee were not being allowed into St. Peters.

I don't recall any dress codes for the museums I've gone to (Louvre, Uffizi, Doges Palace).

Have a great trip!
Deborah

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:56 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Liesl

ezron,
I just got back from two weeks in Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome, Liguria) and the church with the strictest dress code is St. Peter's. No shorts or sleeveless tops for men or women. At St. Mark's in Venice, there are signs saying the same thing, but the guards were letting in men in shorts while they were turning away women in tank tops. I don't remember anyone checking for dress code at the Duomo in Florence, but I always made sure I was wearing pants and a blouse whenever I went to a church, so I didn't have to worry about it...

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Lee

I was in Florence and Venice at the end of May and I saw some people turned away at churches for improprer dress. It seems to depend on the mood of the person letting you in as to what gets by. Rather than take a chance, I made sure to wear t-shirts with sleeves and long pants. If I had a dress, that would have been fine, too, as long as it wasn't sleeveless.

I warned my boyfriend not to wear shorts either. He has a tough time dealing with heat but he managed to survive with lightweight long pants.

I didn't notice anyone getting turned away from the museums such as the Uffizi or Accademia for wearing shorts. It's only in the churches that dress codes were enforced.

Lee

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Ariel

Your shoulders MUST be covered for Rome. I am one of the people not allowed in because my shoulders were bare (the straps of my full length dress were not considered wide enough. We were poor students at the time with only as day in Rome - I never got into the chapel, which I certainly regret!

I tried ripping our map in half and sticking it under my dress straps - they didn't like that very much.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:41 AM
topper

ttt