Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the cost of Living in Galway, Ireland?

Aug 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are considering moving to Galway, Ireland so that he can get his masters degree. We currently live in St. Louis, United States.
We are having a difficult time getting a good idea of how much it really costs to live there for two years. Also, we wanted to find out whether we would be ellible for medical care while we were there because we would be residing there for such an extended period of time.
Another concern would be the availability of a part time job, possibly for both of us. Is it difficult for an American to find work, and how much should we expect to get paid?
Oh, I forgot to say that I am currently a high school teacher... though I am sure that I will not be able to get a job in my specific field (I teach public speaking), I am wondering if there may be a related field that I could find a job in.

I know this is a little different than a normal request, but the fodorites seem to be the best hope for help on the web.
Any information would be helpful at this point.

Thank you,
Amy McQuiggan

Oh, we are planning our trip for next fall.
Aug 12th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Amy to get an idea of supermarket prices try www.Tesco.ie and for rentals try www.daft.ie - not sure Galway is in this website. Its impossible to give a figure of what you will need. Galway is cheaper than Dublin but still more expenses than other places as its a city. Student are allowed I believe to work 20 hours per week and if he is a grad student he could try to get a teaching assistantship or see if there are any grants as I assume he will pay non-eu fees uless you have Irish Passposts. I am unsure if you would be able to teach here as I don;'t know if the qualifications are accepted as the saem. I am sure it will be better as a teacher but public speaking would not be a role in any national schools here. You could teach evening classes on Public speaking..just a thought!

You will not be eligible for free medical care as a non-eu student because you are not a citizen from my knowledge but saying that a trip to the emergency room is a flat fee if you are not placed overnight and dr's cost from 40-50 per visit which is not as bad as it could be. You could get Bupa Ireland or VHI while here I think as a student rate. Check www.bupa.ie or www. vhi.ie.

Tell me your status i.e. do either of you have an Irish Passport etc otherwise I don't think you will be able to work without being sponsored by a company etc. It can be difficult. Let me know more and I can help.

P.S. I have a passport from my parents but grew up in the U.S. and moved over 10 years ago. So I started from scratch as well over here.
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:07 AM

A book called the Adaptor Kit - Ireland has a lot of helpful information...However, each situation is unique, so it won't have all your answers.

Ireland in general is considered one of the more expensive countries in Europe (Dublin is the 2nd most expensive European city). However, I don't think you'll find prices terribly different from St. Louis...certain items are much more highly priced, others are more reasonable.

I find petrol and home decorating/fix it items to be more expensive than in the US, but basic groceries and necessities tend to be comparable or only slightly higher.

I find the prices for new Irish homes in "housing estates" quite expensive for the level of quality, but then again the same thing can be said for the condo market in many US cities (I'm in Milwaukee).

Galway is going to be more expensive than other areas...however, it will also have more store competition and discount stores, so there are more options for someone setting up a home.

I don't live in Ireland, but my partner and I have a holiday home there, so we've learned a lot about purchasing and spending 1-3 months at a time there (and boy have prices gone up in the last ten years).

Good luck.
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:24 AM

With regard to finding part time work I would contact the HR Department at the university. I think you will need a permit as you are from the EU. I am pretty sure there is an employment shortfall in some areas of Galway but they tend to be in low paid jobs.

You should also check if you can transfer your US health cover over but whatever you do don't go without as Health Care is not free (unless you carry a green card - not sure about the colour)in the Republic of Ireland.
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Sorry that should have read not from the EU
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Your husband will be allowed as a student some work hours as mentioned above but it will be tougher for you to get sponsored and yes Cambe the jobs pay much lower than when the U.S. so people have to be more flexible. Remember the country has a small population here so its good workwise in some ways but not very broad. A university will sponsor someone for lecturing etc but less likely in Administrative jobs. Why not look up some temp agencies on the web that are in Galway and start talking to them. You don't want to come over and then find you cannot support yourself here. At least they will give you some ideas on what you can use your skills for etc and get some new ideas for you.

You will love living in Galway. It's a great place.

Have fun

S
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice so far. It has been helpful.

A few more questions:

Would it be cheeper to live close to Galway, or to find a house within driving distance? I guess what I am asking is... is gas more expensive than the difference in rent?

Are there many houses for rent near the area typically?

We know a couple who could also be moving to Galway. We thought it would be nice to save money by renting a larger property with seperate living spaces. Do any of the houses have a main house and an attached cottage... or are we just dreaming?

Are used cars readily available, if so, how much (in general) should I expect to pay for a small, used, but reliable car (no frills)?

Again, thank you for all the responses.

Amy

To respond to the earlier question: We have American passports.
Aug 15th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Hi Amy,
I am topping this for you as I am unable to answer your questions (live in Belfast)

I still think your best source of information will come from the University.

BTW I do think your idea of saving money by renting a larger property with seperate living spaces (a separate cottage) is dreaming !!

Good Luck

Helen
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM

You will probably not find a cottage behind a house unless its in the sticks and one of them will not be livable. Housing compared to the U.S. is pretty unform here. Apartment and Semi detached are the norm. I would opt for an apartment near the city...can you afford a house as a student and someone on a lower wage. In Dublin a 3 bed hhouse for rent can range from 1,000 outside the city up to 2,000 for a nice larger house at the higher end. You need to ask estate agents and check rental websites. There are always places to rent but the market moves fast as it is a college town.

I would not live with another couple as it puts too much pressure on you all. Why not live near eachother a be a support network for eachother.

As for care prices and petrol No one cpould tell a reasonable price without knowing how big a car you want etc. You can get a 10 year old banger that will work or a 2 year old car but they vary in prices. Check out www.buyandsell.ie . Start looking on the web and I think you would be fine in the city with no car and just rent one when you need to.

Aug 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

What is a semi detached? I have never heard that term before.