GNER Fares: Newcastle to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What am I doing wrong? We need to travel from Newcastle to London on Sun., Nov. 6. The GNER website shows the cheapest option as a Saver Single at 87 GBP. The description shows, this is no saver at all, but rather a walk on fare.

I thought advance purchase and off-peak travel made cheaper fares available? Advice??

One more question...what would be the proper station Newcastle or Newcastle Metro?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM

What time are you travelling? Trains are normally very busy on Sunday afternoons and evenings as people return from weekends away - there will be lots of people from the north of England who work or study in London, so will be returning after a weekend with their family or friends.
The saver single is a flexible ticket but cannot be used at certain peak times: the standard single fare, valid on any train at any time, will cost even more. Advance purchase tickets will not be available for trains at busy times. They are also tied to seat reservations which will not be possible over two months in advance. Try waiting until nearer the date and when seat reservations open, some cheap fares may become available.
The station in Newcastle for trains to London is Newcastle. The metro is a local system (partly underground) in the Newcastle area.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:56 AM
ron

Geoff is absolutely right. Wait a month and the £10 and £18 off peak single fares should appear (just as they now appear if you put in a request for Sunday Oct 8).
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Hi ...

Have you thought of flying ??? www.easyjet.co.uk has flights starting from £17.99 including taxes for your date. They fly from Newcastle to Stansted (just outside London).

www.britishairways.com have return fares from £66 (I have had to use the return date of the 13/Nov 05 - otherwise you would end up paying £180 !!) You don't need to use the return portion !!! These flights are to Gatwick ...

I am sure that you could then catch a train into London.

Also look at expedia.co.uk ... they may have cheaper fares?

Not sure how far Newcastle airport is from Newcastle, but look at www.newcastleinternational.co.uk - the airport website.

Hope this helps

Mark
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will keep checking. November 6 is as far out as booking is available so I was thinking perhaps the best discounts were available now--guess not!

We can leave any time, but were thinking somewhere between 9-11 AM.

Any suggestions on where to stay the night before and the easiest means of transportation between the airport and the train station? Our rental car has to be returned to the airport (the only location open on Sunday). After dropping off the car, we will need to get to get to the train station.

Thank you again.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Hi ...

If you have to return your car to the airport, then why not fly to London ... as I said in an earlier post £18 single with easyjet.co.uk. Slightly more expensive if you leave between 9 & 11 AM. 1 hour etc. BUT you will need to book soon, as prices go up the closer you get to date.

Mark
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM

You can get from Newcastle airport to the city centre and station on the metro (www.tyneandwearmetro.co.uk).
Easyjet go to Stansted which is not close to London - it's 37 miles by train.
You should be able to get a cheap train fare on a Sunday morning as the trains are normally quiet then.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Hi

I suppose it depends what you are looking for ... if you like going by train, then go by train ... it takes about 3-4 hours to get to London from Newcastle.

If you don't mind flying, then go easyjet. 1 hour checkin, 1 hour flight, 1-2 hours for getting bags etc & getting into London.

So no real difference in time.

You do run the risk of not been able to get a cheap train fare, whereas you know you can get a cheap airfare now.

Also you need to check any work they might be doing on that line, as Sunday's is a normal day for engineering works ... but of course there might be delays on the planes.

If I had the choice & could get a decent price, I would go by train ... always seems less stressful than flying. Also you might be able to get a cheap offer to upgrade to 1st class on the train.

I've noticed on the www.gner.co.uk website that they have a special offer on - Offer 19 - £20 return !! Yet you can not book that at the mo ... I have no idea when you would be able to ??

They sell £10 single tickets, but they don't appear to be available.

Which goes back to original point .. they may NEVER be available & you may end up paying £87 !! Whereas you could book with easyjet now & pay £20-£30 !!

Your choice !!

Mark