Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best thing you bought in Rome?

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious about what your favourite find in Rome was, and if you can remember where did you buy it?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I bought a wonderful 18 kt. gold cross, small, but very heavy and of beautiful craftsmanship, in the jewelry shop run by nuns in St. Peter's. It is a treasure! I also purchased a silk scarf at the Vatican, the pattern being a copy of one of those angelic frescoes, and some commemorative coins for my son's collection. Funny, I had been really anxious to buy something else for myself in the way of clothing, but after those purchases I felt anything else would be anticlimatic. Oh, and bought sister-in-law a lime green pashmina, and husband a Lacoste sweater in a French blue color I hadn't seen in the States, both at a very large department store that starts with an "R". (Only six months ago and I can't remember, but I DID remember St. Peter's, at least--)
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing kswl!

The gold cross sounds beautiful...as does everything else.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM

A really great pair of bright red bowling shoes (not really - but sneaks in that style) - the most comfy shoes ever. And I got them on a super sale for somethinglike only $70. It was in a small shoeshop across from our hotel near the top of the Via Veneto.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM

A photograph by an American photographer who has chosen to make Italy her home. She has a small shop that we just happened upon in our explorations. It is a lovely black & white photograph of a courtyard that could be nearly anywhere in Italy (she travels about. It was matted nicely and looks wonderfun framed and hanging on my wall ... every time I see it I am reminded of a wonderful trip. Other than that the best "purchase" in Rome was a wonderful dinner at a small neighborhood restaurant. Bruschetta, gnocchi, and liberal amounts of chianti ... wonderful!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

I will keep my eye out for professional photographs of Rome - what a wonderful keepsake.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:53 PM

a computer generated graphic of the most delightful kitchen cat you've ever seen. He's weighing the remains of the fish dinner he just ate and licking his salty chops. Bought it in the Piazza Navona from an equally delightful artist couple.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

That sounds like a very unique find sicula!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:56 AM

The first time I went, in the early '80s when I was in my 20s, I brought a Gucci purse at the Gucci store for about $50. I had it repaired once, then it completely fell aaprt about 20 years later. I also purchased a pair of inexpensive leather boots at a store on VIa Del COrso (I think called, of all things, 'the shoe store'). I had those boots for a good 15 years.

Our last visit, when I was with my family, we didn't do much shopping, but I picked up a great cheese grater at some small kitchen store I discovered near our hotel. I know this isn't that big of a deal, but I like looking for little kitchen things that I don't normally see in NYC.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:59 AM

One more item from that first trip, I bought a small oil painting, from an artist outdoors (I think) at Piazza Navona. I had it matted and framed and it still hangs in my apartment. The 2nd trip I purchase an inexpensive set of prints that I also had framed.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:19 AM

Pinnochio items for the little ones! Every toy store was marked with a 3 foot tall wooden brightly painted Pinnochio. The stores had all sorts of Pinnochio trinkets and doodads as well as stationary and note cards.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Wow, what a great find a Gucci purse for $20 even if it was 20 years ago!

I would love to own something Gucci, would anyone know of outlet stores in Rome?

Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:25 AM

The Gucci purse was $50 not $20 but still great value. If I remember correctly, at that time back in the states the same purse was about $100 (which now even that seems cheap). That was back in the day when the dollar was VERY strong against the Lira. WHen we were there in '01, I was in and out of the Gucci store in about 10 seconds. No bargains to be had. Now it has to be even worse. The only cheap Gucci's would be those knock-off they sell on the streets. Not quite the same as the real thing!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM

All at the Vatican Museum gift shop.

Jewelry akin to that shown in the museum, yet not gaudy.

Best of all, smallish freshwater pearl rosary beads. I buy them everytime I go (3 times) and still wish I bought more. They make wonderful baptism, communion and confirmation gifts...and the price is very good. The girls love them...one sister in a family did not get them for her confirmation and she was truly disappointed. Granted, if I gave her cash, it might have relieved some of the pain!

Okay, maybe a knock off bag from the street vendors, but you have to buy where there is alot of light to see how well or not well the bag is made.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:38 AM

A hand-carved rosary for my father at Mondo Cattolico in Vatican City. I was in Rome on his birthday in '03, and at that time my mom was very seriously ill, and he was praying often for her recovery. When I returned from my trip, I gave him the rosary, and he was thrilled. He died very suddenly 4 short months later, and he is holding that rosary in his hands, and wearing an Italian silk tie I purchased for him at Sermonetta, which went very well with his favorite suit.

For my mom, during her long illness, I purchased some hand-embroidered handkerchiefs she's still using. Those I bought in a beautiful linen shop on via Babuino.

BC
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM

An unusual men's pullover for 12 euro. It wasn't wool but the styling was different (wooden buttons across one shoulder) and I've received heaps of positive comments on it. When asked where I bought it I have great pleasure in telling them "I got it in Rome". I'm such a jerk!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM

Thanks for asking, LoveItaly. I love bragging about my big buy. I must be a jerk, too! In 2002 I bought a beautiful full-length black leather coat. The US dollar was better against the Euro back then, and I paid the equivalent of approximately $225. Back home, within a year I saw a similar-looking coat that was over $450, and that was ON SALE! And I'm sure the leather on the more expensive coat was nothing nearly as nice as the soft, buttery leather of the Italian coat. Every time I wear it I feel just a little more sophisticated. It also makes me like cooler weather a little more in order to have the opportunity to wear it. I got it at a store called Rocking Blue (can't remember the street name), and like worldinabag I enjoy telling people I got it in ROME.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

I am going to definately check out the Vatican gift store for the beautiful treasures a lot of you have found there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM

I bought a silver plated pasta server (kind of like a large spoon or fork but slotted and with "fingers" for scooping and serving the pasta). No particular shop. Italy has great little shops everywhere that sell stylish housewares, like the kind you might buy for a wedding gift. Every time I make spaghetti, it's like I'm in Italy again. Enjoy shopping!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:58 AM

I bought a gorgeous reddish/brown ladies wallet that just wore out. Have never seen one like it here - o well - guess I'll just have to go back to Rome to look for another. Found it somewhere around Piazza Navona.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -