WHAT IS MALTA LIKE?

Search

WHAT IS MALTA LIKE?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT IS MALTA LIKE?

I`M CONSIDERING A 2 WEEK VISIT TO MALTA IN JUNE OF 2005. ON READING THE MESSAGES POSTED I AM GETTING A RATHER "FLAT" IMPRESSION.
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE COMMENTS: IS JUNE TOO HOT? IS THERE ENOUGH TO DO - VISITING CULTURAL VENUES, HIKING, JUST ENJOYING THE NEIGHBORHOOD(SAINT PAUL`S ISLANDS), BOATING, AND JUST EXPLORING THE ISLANDS?
SHOULD I PLAN A COUPLE OF DAYS IN SICILY?
IS THE EXCHANGE RATE WITH THE $ DOLLAR DO ABLE? WILL I FIND REASONABLE AIRFARE FROM EUROPE?
LOOK FORWARD TO IMPUT.
DIVA DESAMONA
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:29 AM

What attracts you to Malta? Have you been to Sicily? If you are interested in that area, I would think a two week visit to Sicily with a couple of days in Malta would make more sense. June will be pretty hot but if you can go in early June, that would be better. I have never been because there are so many more interesting places yet to visit before I turn to Malta.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:08 PM
JP

"I have never been because there are so many more interesting places yet to visit before I turn to Malta".

And you haven't been there? How do you know?

I visited Malta last year and was amazed by it. We had 5 days, and it wasn't enough.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM

I was in Malta in April/May 2004 and there is plenty to see and do. June may get a bit hot but you should check out the weather sites for averages. You can read Adrienne & Nancy's Fabulous Vacation (just go to Malta on this forum) and get an idea of what we did or I can send you Adrienne's trip report (I swear, you won't need a guide book

It's definitely not a "green" island but has so much history that you can't get bored.

I had wanted to go for so long and was not disappointed. If I can help with any specific questions, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Amy

I had a great week in Malta and could have spent more time, particularly in Gozo, where I only had one day; my favorite places of all were the Neolithic structures with the Hypogeum standing out as one of the greatest experiences ever. There are also catacombs, Crusader sites, and WWII history to interest the traveler.

I stayed in Valletta and was very happy I did, but it's not a place for nightlife if that's important to you; it is beautiful, historic, and the site of the bus terminal which takes you all over! I didn't spend any time in the "beachy" resort type areas.

I was there in October and it was still pretty warm; I'd guess June could get pretty hot.

If you'd like to see some pictures, go to http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg and click on the Malta album.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM

It's a fascinating place, it's not beautiful in an obvious way, but that's part of the attraction.

The food is excellent, and the people are very warm and welcoming.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM

As you are interested in cultural venues and hiking, there will be plenty enought things to see/do in Malta. I spent 10 nights in Malta March 2003, really enjoyed it.

But, I went for 2 weeks walking in Sicily last April, there are far far more interesting places to see/walk. I am afraid two days in Sicily is not nearly enough.

The tourist Info has a series (5) of useful booklets about walking routes in Malta, in great details and cheap.

I flew with Air Malta from London Heathrow to Valletta, paid somewhere around 80 pounds for return.

Compared to other places in Western Europe, Malta is still quite affordable. Sicily is much more expensive.

I am afraid It will be too hot to walk comfortably in June.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Amy

For a few more ideas, check out http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34569518

And those of you who have been there....please join in on the other thread. We're up to sixty of the one hundred already!