Search

what is in rue Cler?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:17 AM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is in rue Cler?

Been to Paris few times but never been to rue Cler.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:21 AM

rue cler is a market street for pedestrians only with all sorts of shops and restaurants. You can look on the rick steves website and he has a walk down rue cler that lists the different places.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:16 AM

Rue Cler is one of many market streets. I have stayed at the Champs du Mars 2x (right off the Rue Cler). It is nice to walk up and down the street, particularly for "picnic" ideas. Now there is a Olivier & Co. on the street, also. The Rue Cler is close to the Eiffel, but not as close to central Paris. There are a lot of nice, small restaurants in the vicinity. Search "Rue Cler" for many good suggestions on this board.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM

What is Olivier & Co? My search didn't bring up much that made sense.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM

My spelling may not be correct, but Olivier & Co. (however spelled) is a shop with wonderful olive and olive oil products.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM

Not sure where you live but there are many locations of Olivier & Co in the states.

As with any pedestrian only markets in Paris Rue Cler is wonderful to wander around, see all the merchants and farmers with their produce and products, get a feel for the "grocery shopping" of many locals and restaurant owners, watch life! There are quite a few of these streets around Paris, the farther from the main tourist attractions the less tourists, we went to one south of town that was lovely!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:04 AM

Oliviers&Co. is indeed a wonderful source of olive oils--and you can taste them all. There are some in the US but at least on their website they don't carry their wonderful confiture d'olive.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:16 AM

there are lots of market streets in Paris, rue Cler is just one of the more upscale ones. I don't find it that interesting or unique, and wouldn't make a special trip for that, as you can go shopping in lots of areas. If you were staying around there, you might have more reason to go there.

There are lots of Oliviers (plural) & Co boutiques in Paris and elsewhere. A L'Olivier, similar name, is also supposed to be very good according to Patricia Wells -- it's at 23,rue Rivoli.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:06 AM

One wonderful shop on rue Cler is the Neuhaus chocolate shop, one of only 2 (I believe) in Paris. The choccies are fresh and out of this world -- the best are the ones filled with fresh cream (look for one with a praline on top).

The Neuhaus shop is not fancy, but well worth a special trip to rue Cler.

(The other Neuhaus shop in Paris is in an awful location 8 or 10 blocks up from the arc de triomphe. Neuhaus is a Belgian, not French, chocolatier, but neither your taste buds nor your friends to whom you bring back the goodies need ever know.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:26 PM

There is a little crepe stand (or kiosk) on the rue Cler run by a gruff older guy. I guess he doesn't have to pay much rent, his space is so small, like a carnival booth! But his crepes are filling and very cheap.

Oliviers & Co also has a shop in the Marais.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:21 PM

Prior to my trip to Paris this past April I did a lot of research on this website and noticed in many posts that alot of people wanted to stay "in the Rue Cler area". That prompted my attention so I found a nice hotel in the 7th one block over from Rue Cler.
We walked down this street everyday for a week and I came home wondering what the heck people find so interesting that they would seek out a hotel close to THE RUE CLER? What did I miss?
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:01 AM
Bootman4U

The only thing you may have "missed" in the Rue Cler were a bunch of tourists all armed with Rick Steves guidebooks!

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:51 AM

The rue Cler "area" is an upscale quiet Paris neighborhood. You didn't miss anything--it is just pleasant with excellent restaurants within walking distance of your hotel and a view of the Eiffel Tower around just about every corner. I would say it is less "touristy" than the Latin Quarter. As for "tourists" on rue Cler, yes, right along with many Parisians doing their daily market visit. It is like many other "market streets". It is that Rick Steves has made 2 particular budget hotels on the street very popular. We actually see VERY few tourists there in the spring and fall when we go. Some like it--some don't.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Williams-Sonoma carries Olivier & Co. olive oil products.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM

Street markets like the rue Cler are common in Paris but unknown in the states, so you'll enjoy it. As a previous poster noted, it is a pleasant, upscale area. A street market that I like even more--although both are nice--is on the rue Mouffetarde in the Latin Quarter. The top half of the street has tourist restaurants; the bottom half a great market. Unlike rue Cler, rue Mouffetarde is a narrow winding medieval street and the market is more crowded but more atmospheric. It ends in a 15th(?) century church and is around the corner from the Jardin des Plantes.