Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is considered a hotel confirmation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is an email reply from the hotel saying "We have confirmed everything as mentioned. Everything is in order." acceptable?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:30 AM

That's often what I get and use, especially when it is returned on my original request so I can print out one page that shows my request and their confirmation to it.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Sooo, if "everything mentioned" is not attached to your "confirmation", I'd email them back restating it. Something like "Thank you for your email of (date) confirming my reservation of (repeat your request)." If there's anything in the reservation request you're concerned about (ie size of bed, new wing vs old etc.)make sure to repeat it.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually reconfirm the week before i go just to make sure there are no terrible surprises. The place we are staying in Beilstein on the Mosel told us to call the day before to let them know our plans have not changed. So far, knock on wood, I have never had a problem on any of my trips.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Like Tom. I too reconfirm about a week or so before we leave. I usually try to book far in advance, so this makes sure they haven't forgotten us. I do as Patrick does and also print both my e-mail and the hotel's e-mail (often my note is part of the hotel's return e-mail). Always take them with me for check in. Incidentally, I request a reservation/confirmation number and usually get one without a problem. Seems to make it more binding somehow.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Maitaitom, would that perchance be Haus Lipmann in Beilstein? Because if it is, you are going to love it. (By the way, they don't ask for a CC by way of 'insurance', so that might be why they ask you to call.)

Now, how do you make a mai tai?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 03:51 PM

Sue, you would make a good detective. I will be at Haus Lippman for two nights in September. Glad to have your recommendation. As far as your mai tai question, there are many ways to make a mai tai, but here is the one I like.

8 or 12 ounce glass full of ice.
Fill 1/3 with light rum (or light brown like Captain Morgan, Bacardi, et al.
1/3 glass filled with Trader Vics (and only Trader Vics) mai tai mix - think they're on line now)
Then a big splash of OJ
Small splash of pineapple juice
A small splash of Cherry juice
and Finally..Float a dark rum like Meyers on top. Add a couple of cherries (I forego the umbrella)
Please, no driving after this concoction

If you don't have Trader Vics mai tai mix in store, you can try one of the others, but they are usually too sweet for me. Anyway, I think I'll make one now. Thanks for the Beilstein info.

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:08 PM

LOL, Tom, when you see how big Beilstein is, you'll realize why I didn't have to be much of a detective!

Re Lipmann: It's very small, just a handful of rooms. If you are lucky, you will get a room on the front with a balcony overlooking the Mosel. But even if not, you can still enjoy the restaurant with its lovely vine shaded patio overlooking same river.

I don't think they serve Mai Tais, though. : - ) Thanks for the recipe.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Re: Beilstein:

RufusTFirefly (some of these names are pretty good) gave Haus Lipmann (now spelled correctly by yours truly) very high marks, too. I look forward to a relaxing start of my vacation there.

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:25 PM

My wife and I do a good bit of international traveling. I make our reservations about a month in advance and email our hotels about a week before arrival to confirm that everything is in order.
Works for us.
John
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:45 PM

I usually do as above - I always bring printed confirmation with me, and I always make sure that they add any specifics - room with a view, double bed, breakfast included, etc. We've had near-misses a couple of times when we check in someplace and they try to give us, say, two twin beds, but then I pull out my confirmation and show it to them and it's never been a problem.

Once I sort of had to beg the hotel to send me a fax or e-mail confirmation. The lady at the hotel was saying "I have your booking right here in the computer." Finally I told her we needed the confirmation to get reimbursed from work!
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, there is an email trail and the dates/room type are shown. But I guess the staff doesn't want to spend time to repeat the info. athough other hotels I have booked in the past have done so. I really doubt that I can get a booking number from this particular hotel; it appears they are unwilling to comply as I've sent a confirm. request which they have ignored.