Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What happened to my "England" trip report???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what happened to my trip report, entitled: "England - Two Weeks, Four Women, One Rental Car"?

I've clicked on my name, and searched back through more than 300 messages (to yesterday afternoon - my last posting on it was yesterday evening) and can't find it anywhere.

I spent a lot of time on that report, and was looking forward to reading the comments and then printing it out for myself, and I'm a little miffed that is seems to have disappeared.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Gayle
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM

This is quite odd. I know I had replied to that thread (lovely trip report) and now I can't find it under my name where it should be. I can't imagine what could have been offensive about it so that it would have been removed!! It was beautiful and an informative tool for all.
I will keep looking through my posts for you
-jill
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
gayle,

When did you post it? This site sometimes is quite frustrating. Do you have it saved somewhere to repost?

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Very very odd because I read it recently and noticed that it kept getting responses. The title was funny and clever.

I responded to another post this morning and that post is also gone. This was a post that I believe was taken off because it was offensive and racist. So, I was giving Fodors credit for axing it...now this makes me wonder if posts are just disappearing...
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:04 PM

I can't see it, either, it must have disappeared. I dont recall it, so have no clues.

I do know that recently there is something wrong with the function where you click on your name to get your posts in that sometimes it doesn't list the most recent ones the first time you click and you have to re-click to get it up-to-date.

However, that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

That wasn't the only copy of it you had, was it? if so, that's a real shame. I don't spend a lot of time on my posts on here in that I don't first type and edit them in WORD or anything, but if I wrote a trip report, I would copy and save it myself to a file before posting, as you never know. I do that with my own posts if they are very long and have some info I am not going to want to retype, as sometimes if the board isn't working right, the post doesn't "take" and it can disappear.

YOu can try again later to see if it comes back, I think once in a blue moon that happens.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:05 PM

leonberger's trip report was not offensive in any way! It was well written and full of humor and insight. I cannot even imagine why it would have been deleted by the editors????

leon, I hope you have it saved somewhere!!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:10 PM
GreenEyedCatWoman

Weird!
I printed it out at my office early this morning hoping to have time to read it during my lunch time. Didn't get to take a lunch, so it's in my desk drawer with high hopes for tomorrow.

Gayle, if it can't be found here on Fodor's, feel free to email me your address at
ssabo3 @ charter. net
(omitting the spaces) and I'll be happy to snail mail you a photocopy of your trip report and all of the responses as of 6:30 AM (Central) this morning.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM

So glad someone saved a copy. I am cutting and posting a copy of all of my trip reports with comments into Word right now in case of this same thing!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

I sent an email to Fodor's, asking what happened and whether the file can be reinstated.

I'll wait until tomorrow and see if I get a reply from them.

My husband just told me that he downloaded part of it to Word yesterday, so it looks like I'll have most of it.

If Fodor's doesn't re-post it, I'll get back to GreenEyedCatWoman (thank you!) and ask her to fax it to me as well, so I can see some later replies.

Mysterious....

Gayle
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Oh, I know it wasnt offensive. I was enjoying it. Its just weird that I had noticed another post that disappeared today too.

This was a post about changing your passport due to weight loss and plastic surgery. A bunch of us responded helpfully including me.

Then, the same person (SARAHLA) posted a terrible post at midnite about neo nazis in germany potentially beating her up because she had dark skin and eyes. It was really offensive, and bizarre. These were the only two posts this person every posted and I became suspicious that this was a prankster. So ... I wrote a note saying something to the effect of her posts seeming to be odd/disingenous. (Ok, I asked if she was a troll?) I went back to see responses this afternoon, and its gone.

Long story to say - either Fodors deliberately deleted that one for good good reason OR it too fell into the abyss like the funny England post from leonberger.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:29 PM

HI Gayle--that really is a shame if they deleted an innocent post!!! Sometimes there are offensive replies/comments wihtin the thread and then Wham! the whole thing disappears--sort of a baby and bathwather kind of situation....I am *so* sorry that I had not yet read it and I will be sure to be on the lookout for its (potential) return!!

PS (to Lori)I had my suspicions about the lass from LA!!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM

leonberger

It was there first thing morning. I posted a second answer. It was a lovely thread. I was so interested in all you had to say about Yorkshire. I have been looking for it this evening.

I would like to see it re-instated.

Sandy
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM

I think there was someone posting a lot of advertising on sites today and I have a feeling that Fodors deleted all threads with that ad.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Hi leonberger, I saw your thread today, and then saw this thread of yours this evening. I could not believe your thread had been deleted. But I clicked on your name and I guess for sure that your thread was deleted. And WHY?????? Very very strange IMO. What is going on? I enjoyed your report so much.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM

richardab, are you serious? Do you think the editors really deleted all of the threads (the ENTIRE thread) that contained the advertising??? Surely they wouldn't do that (insert icon for sarcasm).
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM

leonberger, I know the thread was active this morning because I posted comments.

There were some weird things happening with posts today, one time during the morning there was a large time gap in postings and then suddenly everything was being posted within minutes of one another. There was the person using Fodors to advertise as well.

I hope you can find your post. I wonder if it is possible that someone from O'Hare airport or AA airlines got involved and it was deleted You really had a horrible experience there as I recall. Deborah
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
cmt

There was some innocuous thread about two weeks ago about suggestions for gifts when visiting relatives in Sicily. I posted on it. Then when I saw a similar question elsewhere this wee on another forum, I tried to find that Fodors thread so I could simply post a link to it, instead of grinding out a similar reply. I can't find it. It doesn't come up when I click on my name or when I do word searches. I can't think of any reason why it would've been deleted, so I think maybe it just fell out of the indexing system. That has happened to many Fodors threads in the years I've been participating here. A thread my still exist, but it is not findable by any normal means of search, except just by manually scrolling though pages and pages of posts. Maybe you can find yours by patiently scrolling back. You shouldn't have to do that, but if it dropped out of the indexing, that may be the only way.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:56 PM

About those advertising threads today. . .I posted a complaint about them, and it got a lot of responses. Next thing I knew my complaint post and all responses was gone, but the ads remained on the other posts. I posted another post titled something like "New Policy: Advertising is allowed on Fodors, but complaints about it aren't." I forwarded that to the editors and asked if they could explain it. That whole thread disappeared within a minute! Then I noticed that one by one the advertisements were being deleted from the various threads -- but the other threads remained. I got an email from the editors explaining that it took them some time to individually remove all the ads (they said some 55 of them in total), but they removed my thread as they didn't want to bring any more attention to the ads. At the same time, the editor complimented me on my current trip report on the US board and mentioned that it was on the talk home page (which I wasn't aware of). I have to admit, they handled that whole ad thing very well, getting rid of all of them within about an hour of when they started!

Meanwhile, I saw your Four Women England report and can't imagine why it was deleted!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Hi

This problem seemed to start about 14 hours ago. Someone else complained about their post being deleted at the time. I have just tried to search for my reply but this is gone into cyberspace also. I suggested logging out and also scrolling back but judging from the above posts this has been tried too. I don't think it's the thought police. More like system Gremlins.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Isn't it ironic that the "Fodors editors" can post (sometimes inaccurate) responses to threads about transport in London or some such. But do they post to a thread like this one where their explanation might actually be useful? Nooooooo.

What a shame about your thread . . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -