Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What else do we need advanced reservations for in Rome?

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there-

We leave for Rome in 3 1/2 weeks and couldn't be more excited. I wanted to find out what we need to reserve church or museum-wise that can't wait until we get there. Here's what we have so far:
Villa Borghese reservations
Sistine Chapel reservations
Misc. restaurant reservations
Obviously, hotel and transportation.

We did the Scavi tour last time, tried for the Via Triumphalis tour a month ago but no luck on the day we have available. Are there other must-see places that need some advanced notice beyond a couple of days? Thanks, as always for your help!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Italy,

nothing else that I'm aware of either from personal experience or what I've picked up here.

if you are going to the colosseum, remember the tip about buying your tickets from the palatine hill booth on the forum where the queues will be far smaller. it's worth doing this even if you're not going to the palatine itself.

how long are you going to be in Rome?

regards, ann
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM

I've never booked anything in Rome in advance (aside from our Hotel) and never had any problems...so I'd say you're pretty set with what you have there.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ann -
And thanks for the tip on the Palatine Hill ticket booth. We will be in Rome for 10 days - one of which will be in Pompeii - that's all arranged and another day we will take a day and night trip (hotel booked) to Florence. We saw the Uffizzi and David last trip so will hit other sights this time. If anyone else thinks of anything else, thanks. Otherwise, we're happy to wing it!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Actually I do have one more question. We arrive there on the 25th of March and plan to visit Florence by train on April 1st or 2nd. I'm assuming I can wait until i get there to book my train reservations? Thanks, again!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Italy - 10 days in Rome -you lucky things.

although it's early in the year, you might enjoy the trip out to tivoli, and think about ostia antica instead of pompeii.

in Rome itself, we really liked Trastevere, especially St. Cecilia's [the mosaics in the crypt are very lovely] and wandering around the little streets of the area we were staying in [monti].

as for the train tickets, i would go into a travel agent which is a trenitalia agent [most of them I believe] and buy the tickets a few days in advance.

have a lovely time, and hope for good weather in Italy - we will be in Venice for part of the time you are in Rome.

regards, ann