What does State Department warning mean?

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Nancy

What does State Department warning mean?

My husband and I are scheduled to leave for Ireland in 3 weeks. Yesterday the State Department issued a worldwide warning for Americans abroad. What does this mean? Have there been specific threats against Americans? Have specific areas been targeted? Should we be concerned about Ireland?

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:19 AM
shell

I think in Ireland you need to be more concerned with IRA activity than anything from Arab terrorists.

I'm scheduled to leave for Europe on Thursday, and will just keep my head down and a low profile.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:48 AM
karen

topping....I would like to hear more about this latest warning

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:56 AM
JxF

The current worldwide travel warning issued by US State Dept can be found on website --- http://travel.state.gov./travel_warnings.html

Additionally, on this site they provide any warnings with regards to specific countries.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Lindsay

Which parts don't you understand? :

The U.S. Government remains deeply concerned about the security of Americans overseas. Following the
attacks on September 11, we have continuing concern based on threatening rhetoric from extremist groups
and the potential for further terrorist actions against American citizens and interests. In this environment of
increased tension and concern, the Department urges Americans to review their circumstances carefully and
to take any measures they deem necessary to ensure their personal safety.

As the U.S. Government has reported in Public Announcements and Travel Warnings over the last several
months, U.S. citizens and interests abroad may be at increased risk of terrorist actions from extremist groups.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:23 AM
amy

Nancy, I'm leaving for Ireland in 3 weeks too,and was wondering the same thing.Why would we need to worry about the IRA?I thought that they were only having problems in Northern Ireland.I did check in with the newspapers in the western part of Ireland and didnt see anything about IRA activity there.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Lindsay

Amy and Nancy,

Maybe I should have pasted the title from the State Department warning too.
It was "Worldwide Warning". It did NOT
say "Most Places Warning" or "All Places Excluding Ireland Warning".

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:38 AM
JxF

I didn't want to post the whole warning itself, but here's a significant portion. For the those traveling to Ireland (Nancy & Amy) I don't see anything that would cause you to have an escalated concern with regards to your upcoming trips. At this time, all Americans are wise to keep a low profile when anywhere overseas.

==============
--------------
The events of September 11 at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and Somerset, Pennsylvania, serve as a cruel reminder of the continuing threat from terrorists and extremist groups to Americans and American interests worldwide. This situation remains fluid and American citizens should be aware of the potential risks and to take these into consideration when making travel plans. The Department will continue to develop information about potential threats to Americans overseas and to share credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents available on the Internet at http://www.travel.state.gov.

As the U.S. Government has reported in Public Announcements over the last several months, U.S. citizens and interests abroad may be at increased risk of terrorist actions from extremist groups. Most recently, we advised that we had unconfirmed information that terrorist actions may be taken against U.S. military facilities and/or establishments frequented by U.S. military personnel in Korea and Japan. In addition, we continue to be concerned about information we received in May 2001 that American citizens may be the target of a terrorist threat from extremist groups with links to Usama Bin Ladin's Al-Qaida organization. In the past, such individuals have not distinguished between official and civilian targets. We take this information seriously. In light of the above information, U.S. Government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert.

U.S. citizens are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and to increase their security awareness. Americans should maintain a low profile, vary routes and times for all required travel, and treat mail and packages from unfamiliar sources with suspicion. American citizens are also urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities. Vehicles should not be left unattended and should be kept locked at all times. U.S. Government personnel overseas have been advised to take the same precautions.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 11:13 AM
amy

Lindsay, I did check that government website to read the warning myself, and I did not read your post before I made mine because I got busy and left my post unfinished for a while before closing it.I think I get the picture now but still the state dep. should issue a much stronger warning if travel is deemed to be such a danger now.Point in case there is nothing specific about my particular destination and this vague "travel might be safe, but it might not be" attitude is going to leave a lot of people confused and not knowing what to do.If you've been keeping track of the happenings in washington the brainiacs who run our gov. are having bright ideas about travel vouchers, tax write-offs for travel expenses and are telling folks its safe to fly again.On the other hand they dont feel they can keep their own airport safe so have closed it and then they issue travel warnings to the public.This has got to be a black or white issue not grey.The government is spreading fear and panic without giving concrete information just like some posters on this board.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Pingy

Thanks Amy your right, it all sounds so unclear and ambiguous. And Lindsay your a snot, can anyone explain keeping a low profile while abroad????

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Vita

Try not to do anything that would draw attention to yourself. If you've been wearing a red, white and blue ribbon, leave it at home. If you're speaking, try not to raise your voice above normal conversational level, avoid political discussions esp. in public places. Otherwise, just be yourself and have a great time.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Ann

Shell and Amy--you have nothing to fear from the IRA, in any part of Ireland, North or South. Shell, before you issue such sweeping statements, you may want to do a little research.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:15 AM
ingrid

At the same time, terrorist attacks in the US are likely, including biological and chemical attacks, according to US officials. So, I guess you have to decide where you're safer, here or abroad.