Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does that mean no one has ever trained from Zurich to Florence? Would really like some info on this..

Does that mean no one has ever trained from Zurich to Florence? Would really like some info on this..

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Mike

This is, obviously,a repeat...one last try to find out if anyone knew of a night train from Zurich to Florence..please forgive the persistence....Thanks,
Mike

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Tracie

Mike,

Try www.raileurope.com

Hope that helps.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Vita

Try this site:

http://www.euroair.com/skedintr.htm

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 02:04 PM
richardson

I suggest the Bar au Lac Hotel in Zurich, absolutely 1st class.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Mike

Tracie and Vita,
Thanks for the reply...the reason for the original query was the discrepancy between those two sites...raileurope has no departure from Zurich later than 15:07...the other site says there is one leaving at 22:30, an all nighter arriving at 06 something in the morning...so far have been unable to resolve that, but thanks for the help nonetheless...
Mike

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Tony

As of early October, there is definitely an overnight train from Zurich at 2207, arriving Florence 0654, with no changes. Classified as a Euronight train, but I don't know what sleeper options there are.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 04:14 AM
jw

Hi Mike, I checked my favorite SBB.ch site and found that 22:07 night train. You might want to check that marvelous site of the Swiss Railroad System. I think it does have codes which will tell you what the options are on the trains. Don't forget to search for Firenze.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Ben Haines

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European timetable. Table 82 shows that the Gottardo Express leaves Zurich at 2207 and reaches Florence at 0654, as Mr Albury says. The train offers 1 and 2 berth sleepers in first class, and 3 berth sleepers and crowded 6 berth couchettes in second class. It has no seats cars. It runs from 0140 to about 0300 non stop, so gives a sound night's sleep. You can board from bout 2145.

Please write if I can help further. For example, I have on disc a note on getting the best from couchettes and sleepers: any use ?

Ben Haines, London

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:28 AM
Tom

The raileurope website publishes "representative" schedules. They bear virtually no relationship to the real world, just like raileurope's prices. Use the DB or SBB websites if you want accurate schedule information.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:34 AM
Reader

Dear Mike, try buying or looking up the Thomas Cooke Guide to railroad travel.
Chocked full of good information right from the source, like Mr. Haines says.