Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you use when you can't wear a money belt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:15 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our previous two trips to Europe have been in March when I wore pants or jeans with a belt everyday. I use the Eagle Creek Hidden Pocket which loops onto your own belt for my money, credit card and photocopy of or original passport. I use my purse to carry water bottle, umbrella, guidebook, etc. Thanks for any help.

However, we will be in Italy this June and I will be wearing more dresses and skirts that will not have a belt. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I am not really interested in having to wear something around my neck unless it is really light and small.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM

I carry a regular purse, with the strap across my chest and that's it - and that's only when I'm in heavily populated areas when I can't be sure of the people who are getting so close.

When I was in Rome last month - there were no problems, but I found I did have an arm over it when we were on the buses.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I live in the city and I'm careful with my handbag and am the same when I travel.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use a small leather pouch type purse, worn close to my body.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM

I have a special travel purse that has wire embedded within the easily adjustable shoulder strap. When in a crowd, I put it over my head and shoulder, then shorten it until it is almost under my armpit. When I feel "safer" or am a nicer restaurant, I lengthen it again to a normal shoulder purse. The strap cannot be cut through by someone doing a "snatch and grab" by cutting the strap. It is a washable, micro-fiber that I purchased from Magellan or the Travel Store or some other company specializing in travel gear. It has many wonderful outside and inside hidden pouches and compartments. 2 years ago, it cost around $55. Happy travels!!
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Though it may not be fashionable, I would use a strong backpack with multiple pockets.

I know that some dislike them and say the bottoms can be cut. But that is why I use the kind with different types of inside pockets that are closer and higher up towards my back---so the thief would have to cut open the front of my backpack, fumble around for a while, then find the second pocket. Or take the entire bag altogether.

I have heard of bags that can be worn around the thigh, but haven't used them personally.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM

be very careful of anything you wear on your back. My friend had a very small backpack on and I was behind her most of the time. When she went to reach for her change purse to pay admission to a museum, it was gone. There was 4 of us and we never saw a thing. She only had a small amount in it, but still.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
jgg- take a look at www.fossil.com Top Zip Mini is the one I have used.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM

jgg,

I just carry a purse and keep my eye/hands on it. Have done so in Italy, including the big, bad Termini in Rome, and no problems. If you'll be with your luggage at/near train or bus stations where you'll feel stressed, why not use a money belt or neck pouch on those particular days?

Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM

I never use anything for travel that I wouldn't use at home. I have a leather purse with a shoulder stap. KIt is zippered and I have never had a problem.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are staying in a lot of smaller towns this time (Piedmont, Liguria and Tuscany) as well as Rome, so I think I will take Leely's suggestion and keep my eyes and hands on it, and try to wear something with a belt on days we travel by train or are in more crowded places. Thanks everyone!
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:24 PM

I just use a shoulder purse the same that I use at home. I am never careless with it..and the only time I ever had a problem was at my local supermarket when I took out my credit card, went to sign the receipt and my credit card was gone. Careless on my part. My friends in Italy just use their purses as I do. I guess I could have a problem at some point but so far I never have.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM

I have a wristlet (visit coach.com to see a few) and it is really convenient. It fits phone, lipstick and cash, and you have it on your wrist and grasped in your hand. I love it!
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM

I hope you're still reading because I love my Eagle Creek little purse so much that I have two of them!

It has a long strap so I can wear it across my body, but it is small and slim and still looks nice.

It has tons of inner pockets, and zippers within zippers within snaps. I keep the side with the main catch toward my body, and have my important things tucked deep within my zipper within zipper pockets.

I just did a search for it, and can't find it, but they do have others, a little larger than mine, which most people would prefer. Mine is tiny.

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM

jgg,

I used the same Eagle Creek belt style in Sept - with no belts! I just safety pinned it to the waisband of whatever I wore. Worked just fine. I only used it on days when I was traveling by train between towns, or on museum days in Rome when I had to check my purse. The rest of the time, I just keep things in my purse.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM

northface makes a great shoulder bag that can be shortened to very shot or made longer to cross your chest on your shoulder. It's a great bag with zippers and magnets. It's also cute!
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I wear an around-the-waist hidden pouch that can be worn in front or back. Granted it would not work under a dress, if you needed to get into it, but I only carry passport and extra credit card and money so that I rarely have to fish anything out in public.
Funny story from my recent trip. We were waiting at a bus stop to go to Parthenon area from Termini, and an older Italian lady gave me a lecture in Italian about putting my purse over my head and keeping my hands on it. I was carrying it loosely because it held nothing valuable.

Vera
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Tuscanlifeedit-

Is this the Eagle Creek you use? http://www.eaglecreek.com/40327.html

I swear by this, and I also turn it so that the flap is facing my body. I also run the strap over my shoulder UNDER my top, so no one can cut the strap. I just have a pouch at hip level that I can put my hand over in crowds. It works great!

It isn't the most fashionable thing in the world, but I can fit so many small necessary items into a small space and feel fairly secure about it.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:54 AM

My money belt was sooo unfashionable with my dress, but it made me feel comfy and relaxed knowing that my passport and cards were safe and secure.

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM

My wife uses a money pouch that goes over her head and down inside her dress, top, whatever. It works very well for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -