Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What do you use when you can't wear a money belt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-do-you-use-when-you-cant-wear-a-money-belt-618232/)

jgg May 24th, 2006 03:15 PM

What do you use when you can't wear a money belt?

Our previous two trips to Europe have been in March when I wore pants or jeans with a belt everyday. I use the Eagle Creek Hidden Pocket which loops onto your own belt for my money, credit card and photocopy of or original passport. I use my purse to carry water bottle, umbrella, guidebook, etc. Thanks for any help.

However, we will be in Italy this June and I will be wearing more dresses and skirts that will not have a belt. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I am not really interested in having to wear something around my neck unless it is really light and small.

celticdreams May 24th, 2006 03:19 PM

I carry a regular purse, with the strap across my chest and that's it - and that's only when I'm in heavily populated areas when I can't be sure of the people who are getting so close.

When I was in Rome last month - there were no problems, but I found I did have an arm over it when we were on the buses.

cigalechanta May 24th, 2006 03:23 PM

I live in the city and I'm careful with my handbag and am the same when I travel.

suze May 24th, 2006 03:28 PM

I use a small leather pouch type purse, worn close to my body.

cmenoni May 24th, 2006 03:32 PM

I have a special travel purse that has wire embedded within the easily adjustable shoulder strap. When in a crowd, I put it over my head and shoulder, then shorten it until it is almost under my armpit. When I feel "safer" or am a nicer restaurant, I lengthen it again to a normal shoulder purse. The strap cannot be cut through by someone doing a "snatch and grab" by cutting the strap. It is a washable, micro-fiber that I purchased from Magellan or the Travel Store or some other company specializing in travel gear. It has many wonderful outside and inside hidden pouches and compartments. 2 years ago, it cost around $55. Happy travels!!

ilovetotravel29 May 24th, 2006 03:35 PM

Though it may not be fashionable, I would use a strong backpack with multiple pockets.

I know that some dislike them and say the bottoms can be cut. But that is why I use the kind with different types of inside pockets that are closer and higher up towards my back---so the thief would have to cut open the front of my backpack, fumble around for a while, then find the second pocket. Or take the entire bag altogether.

I have heard of bags that can be worn around the thigh, but haven't used them personally.

kraspa May 24th, 2006 05:13 PM

be very careful of anything you wear on your back. My friend had a very small backpack on and I was behind her most of the time. When she went to reach for her change purse to pay admission to a museum, it was gone. There was 4 of us and we never saw a thing. She only had a small amount in it, but still.

suze May 24th, 2006 05:54 PM

jgg- take a look at www.fossil.com Top Zip Mini is the one I have used.

Leely May 24th, 2006 05:57 PM

jgg,

I just carry a purse and keep my eye/hands on it. Have done so in Italy, including the big, bad Termini in Rome, and no problems. If you'll be with your luggage at/near train or bus stations where you'll feel stressed, why not use a money belt or neck pouch on those particular days?

Have a wonderful trip.

travelbunny May 24th, 2006 06:34 PM

I never use anything for travel that I wouldn't use at home. I have a leather purse with a shoulder stap. KIt is zippered and I have never had a problem.

jgg May 24th, 2006 07:15 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are staying in a lot of smaller towns this time (Piedmont, Liguria and Tuscany) as well as Rome, so I think I will take Leely's suggestion and keep my eyes and hands on it, and try to wear something with a belt on days we travel by train or are in more crowded places. Thanks everyone!

LoveItaly May 24th, 2006 07:24 PM

I just use a shoulder purse the same that I use at home. I am never careless with it..and the only time I ever had a problem was at my local supermarket when I took out my credit card, went to sign the receipt and my credit card was gone. Careless on my part. My friends in Italy just use their purses as I do. I guess I could have a problem at some point but so far I never have.

laclaire May 24th, 2006 07:30 PM

I have a wristlet (visit coach.com to see a few) and it is really convenient. It fits phone, lipstick and cash, and you have it on your wrist and grasped in your hand. I love it!

tuscanlifeedit May 24th, 2006 07:34 PM

I hope you're still reading because I love my Eagle Creek little purse so much that I have two of them!

It has a long strap so I can wear it across my body, but it is small and slim and still looks nice.

It has tons of inner pockets, and zippers within zippers within snaps. I keep the side with the main catch toward my body, and have my important things tucked deep within my zipper within zipper pockets.

I just did a search for it, and can't find it, but they do have others, a little larger than mine, which most people would prefer. Mine is tiny.

Dayle May 25th, 2006 07:20 AM

jgg,

I used the same Eagle Creek belt style in Sept - with no belts! I just safety pinned it to the waisband of whatever I wore. Worked just fine. I only used it on days when I was traveling by train between towns, or on museum days in Rome when I had to check my purse. The rest of the time, I just keep things in my purse.

Buon viaggio!

sk2214 May 25th, 2006 12:43 PM

northface makes a great shoulder bag that can be shortened to very shot or made longer to cross your chest on your shoulder. It's a great bag with zippers and magnets. It's also cute!

Vera May 26th, 2006 10:19 AM

I wear an around-the-waist hidden pouch that can be worn in front or back. Granted it would not work under a dress, if you needed to get into it, but I only carry passport and extra credit card and money so that I rarely have to fish anything out in public.
Funny story from my recent trip. We were waiting at a bus stop to go to Parthenon area from Termini, and an older Italian lady gave me a lecture in Italian about putting my purse over my head and keeping my hands on it. I was carrying it loosely because it held nothing valuable.

Vera

BlueSwimmer May 26th, 2006 10:49 AM

Tuscanlifeedit-

Is this the Eagle Creek you use? http://www.eaglecreek.com/40327.html

I swear by this, and I also turn it so that the flap is facing my body. I also run the strap over my shoulder UNDER my top, so no one can cut the strap. I just have a pouch at hip level that I can put my hand over in crowds. It works great!

It isn't the most fashionable thing in the world, but I can fit so many small necessary items into a small space and feel fairly secure about it.

ilovetotravel29 May 26th, 2006 10:54 AM

My money belt was sooo unfashionable with my dress, but it made me feel comfy and relaxed knowing that my passport and cards were safe and secure. :)

2Italy May 26th, 2006 11:06 AM

My wife uses a money pouch that goes over her head and down inside her dress, top, whatever. It works very well for her.