Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What clothing diversity is needed when spending Oct in Veneto/Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to pack a "manageable" amount of clothing and shoes for our stay in Verona, Venice, Florence and Monteriggioni, arriving October 1st and departing October 27th. I'll be watching the long range weather forecast in late September but that will only give me the first half of our time in Italy.

I'd like an idea if I'll get more use out of sandals or leather ankle boots, sleeveless tops and skirts or long sleeve sweaters and leggings. I'll take my rain coat but wondering if I'll need gloves and silk long underwear also. I plan to layer clothing but I'm not sure how drastically different those layers should be for comfort.

I know the weather varies from year to year within the same month and I even made a copy of the actual daily temps for Oct 2011 in Venice and Florence for a reference. I thought I had a good idea of what to pack but then I saw photos of a trip report taken the last half of Oct 2009 in Rome and it showed people wearing winter jackets, hats, gloves and red noses and everyone looking cold!!

I guess I didn't expect there to be much of a difference in weather conditions between the beginning and end of October. I wish I could afford a personal porter to carry my luggage between locations so I could pack for the extremes and everything in between That won't be happening so I'd appreciate your comments whether I should be considering more light weight or heavy weight clothing and footwear for October. Thanks, Deborah
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM

I was in Rome, Florence and Venice last Oct 9-20. I though it was quite warm during the day. During the day I wore either short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve cotton tops, no need for a jacket. Most days I wore open toed sandals and also used good walking shoes as well. For evenings, a cardigan paired with a scarf( plenty of opptys to buy them along the way) was perfect. I may have worn a light all purpose jacket on a few occasions in the evening. I would recommend packing mostly lightweight items with just a few heavier items just in case of unseasonably cooler weather.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM

In case you are Travelling with a male in your party-- my husband wore mostly short sleeved golf shirts during the day and for more casual dinners. He wore long sleeved cotton dress shirts on other evenings. He did bring a sportcoat which he wore on some evenings. The leather jacket he brought (it was cool at home when we left on the trip) was a bit heavy for the weather we experienced.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:52 AM

We traveled to Rome, Florence, Tuscany and Lake Como from Sept. 27-Oct. 27th of last year.

The beginning of our trip was hot, in the 90s, but by the beginning of the final week it was very chilly in the mornings and early evenings; a few articles of warmer, fall clothing would have made me much more comfortable.

For most of the trip I wore ankle or 3/4 length cotton slacks with short sleeved summer blouses or long sleeve cotton shirts. I had a black, summer weight blazer and a pair of black pants which I wore often. On my trip next month I will bring another pair of black pants.
While in Como I purchased several long-sleeved white dress shirts which I wore during the last week or so. This was in addition to several outfits for the evening, as my husband and I like to dress when we go out to nice restaurants.
. We were as far north as Turino at the end of Oct. and, while very cool, I would not have needed silk underwear, leggings or gloves. I would also suggest that a warmer jacket will be more useful and practical than a raincoat. We had an hour or so of rain in Turin but otherwise none throughout the month of Oct. Perhaps a small travel umbrella?

I found that the summer, long-sleeved cotton blouses were extremely versatile, could be worn day and evening and, except when in the 90s, were comfortable all month.One blazer and sweater are enough.
For the last week. I wished that I had brought something heavier than a blazer; as the weather started to turn cooler, I was often uncomfortable.
Bring shoes in which you will be comfortable walking distances and over uneven surfaces.

One last thing to consider: in your carry-on luggage, pack an extra outfit and any toiletries that you would need in case your luggage is lost. Lufthansa lost my luggage last year and I was stranded for two days. I use to follow this rule but haven't had my luggage lost in years and so had stopped anticipating the possibility.

Have fun!
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM

allysone, thanks for the mention of carrying on extra clothes in case your bags get lost. I did A trial packing but forgot about that. I will put clean underwear, and a toothbrush in my tote bag. And hope I won't need more than that.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Silk underwear solves all the problems. You can wear them with lightweight clothes and be warm. You can wear them as pajamas. Lightweight is enough weight for silk underwear. Medium weight is too hot. Better not to get turtlenecks.

Vests are good too. I wouldn't carry a raincoat unless you really like them.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Having done several 3 week European biking trips, and carrying all my clothes in 2 panniers on my bike, I learned to pack light. A pair of black tights or leggings are great, to go under a skirt or tunic and can add warmth when needed at night or wet days. Also invaluable , are a black jersey cardigan, long enough to cover hips.( I got mine at Costco).It can be worn over shirts, with jeans or layered.Finally, super light Merrells, fantastic shoes for walking on cobbles.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all your comments are very helpful. We do now carry extra clothes in our small carryon when checking our main bag after one trip to France when we arrived and our bags didn't.

I thought October was a rainy month in Venice and Florence making a rain coat advisable.

When I'm traveling, unless doing lots of trail hiking, I prefer to wear dresses/skirts. Leggings and silk long underwear help me transition the changeable weather and be comfortable.

I can see where a black jersey cardigan would be very versatile--I'll just hope our Costco stocks them before we leave.

I'm starting to realize that traveling in October is more wardrobe challenging than I expected Deborah
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM

No one has mentioned a shawl/pashima/large scarf..I couldn't travel without mine..Adds warmth, style. extra blankie,color or lack there of and is very small, foldable and extremely handy in most if all occasions..Put one in your bag and be happy with the results.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

amer_can--that's a must have for me as well, my problem is limiting myself to one or two---sometimes days I feel like a solid and sometimes a print!! Deborah
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Ah, Deborah, you touch my heart..North Americans just don't seem to understand the versatility of these accessories.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM

I usually take two sleeveless turtleneck tops (one sparkley for dressup), one nice medium weight camisole (for layering if it gets cold),one long sleeved sweater, black leggings, lightweight jeans, knee length skirt and one button down shirt. I have a nice lightweight leather jacket (hip length) and with this group I can get ten days of mixing and matching with a rinse and dry if needed. I usually wear ankle boots and pack comfy walking shoes and a pair of flats. It all goes in the carry on. And I do take a pashimal - they are just great on the plane.

Since I always leave room for a purchase,I highly recommend buying a leather jacket in Florence! Have great trip.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Two other lifesavers were: Long scarf ( you can buy one there cheaply on the street as a souvenir) which adds colour, warmth, and is worn by everyone. Also if you wear makeup, highly recommend a small palette so you have all your stuff in one place.Too faced makes great ones . also Pixi.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:05 AM

http://reviews.mec.ca/9421-en_ca/502...ws/reviews.htm

And a foldable shopping bag- not sure about Italy but used mine all through Europe where they dont always give out plastic bags.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM

I'll be there the same time. Lay out all your clothes and then put half away! Do the same with your money - but double it!
Seriously, lay them all out on the bed and make sure that EVERYTHING mixes and matches. Pick a primary color and then 1 or 2 accessory colors for t-shirts, scarves, sweater.
A light-weight cashmere sweater is wonderful over a plain white tee, over a blouse, under a jacket. If it gets warm you can wear it casually it around your shoulders.
A nice long scarf/shawl can be used to cover your shoulders, your hair, used as a belt, a make shift tote, wrap around your neck and under a jacket on a cool evening.
I travel for 2 weeks with a rolling carry-on and a small overnight bag. No one sees you every day so you CAN wear the same things over and over. Just rinse out tee's and undies and dry over night.
Minimize toiletries too. I soak cotton balls (or rounds) with my facial cleanser, perfume, eye make-up remover, etc, and put them in individual snack size, zip-lock baggies - No liquids to carry! Simply add water they'll foam up. Discard as you travel.
Wear your heaviest shoes and jacket when you travel. You can drape the jacket over your carry-on as you make your way thru the airport and put in the overhead storage on the plane. It'll lighten your luggage.