What Area of Rome to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Italy for the first time in Oct 2020--two people, no children. I don't know what area of Rome I should be looking for a hotel in. Somewhere convenient to major sites. Rome is just so large I don't know where to start searching. And if you can recommend any particular hotel I would be grateful. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 01:29 PM

We stayed here and loved it. Within walking distance to all the sites.
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...ome_Lazio.html
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first step in your search is determining your budget range. There are dozens of hotels that are "convenient to major sites" but not all will be within your budget.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 09:42 PM

If you go to booking.com put in Rome historic centre. Pay attention to the results because some of the options will be promoted and can be almost in a different time zone. Select all your filters. Private bathroom for example. Two adults.

At this point start reading reviews. You basically want to be within an area that has the Vatican at one end and the Colosseum at the other. If budget is tighter stay just outside those landmarks. If your budget is more ample try to stay closer to the middle.

Staying near Termini tends to be budget friendly and it's likely the simplest for connecting to either airport but the other two areas (Monti or the Vatican) are nicer and not much more expensive often.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 01:24 AM

I stayed near the Termini in what was called a "Rick Steeves" hotel, Hotel Aberdeen. I waited too long to make my reservation so didn't get my first choice but I liked this small hotel. Nice breakfast included. On the corner there was a McDonald's if with kids you get desperate. Closer to the hotel was a small pizza shop. A restaurant recommended by a friend was within walking distance. I was near a bus stop. Since I got to Rome from Naples via train, I wanted to be fairly close. I was only in Rome for 4 days and used the bus a lot. It took me awhile to figure out how to use my cell phone google maps but if I got myself lost, I would just ask for help getting back to the Termini. Once there I knew what number bus to take back to my hotel. The people at the hotel were very helpful and had my taxi driver waiting to take me to the airport in the morning.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 03:17 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We really enjoyed Hotel Raffaello
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ome_Lazio.html
I can't remember exactly why I chose it, probably based on TA reviews, but the location worked well for us. I especially loved the quiet side street, via Urbana. It was picture perfect with nice restaurants, market, pharmacy, gelato and a lovely antique store in a short stroll. Staff were excellent. Breakfast was fabulous. It was a quiet and serence place to return to and the lovely side street was wonderful in the evening. We were there in October and Rome overall was very crowded and busy. I loved our little quiet corner of the city.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 08:27 AM

Get a book on Rome and look up the lay of the land. We prefer the Piazza Navonna area for convenience in walking in all directions. Then go on Booking.com and find them according to area and price.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 08:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I like the Parlamento on via Convertite. It's right off via del Corso but well gated so it feels safe and secluded with really good service and nice rooms. Sort of nestled in between the Trevi Fountain in one direction, Pantheon in another and Piazza del Popolo and Spanish Steps in another, so you can walk just about anywhere. (A bit further afield down via del Corso you'd find the Forum, Capitoline Museum and Vittorio Emmanuel Monument. You can walk to all this if you're a walker. We did comfortably.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 09:12 AM

We have stayed in the Campo de Fiori area twice and enjoyed it. The walk ability to other areas was good. Budget is needed and iff you want to stay in a hotel, bnb, or have an apartment.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 09:37 AM

I love the Piazza Navona area. About as central as you can get, easy to walk to a lot of sites but also great bus connections to wherever you want to go, lots of restaurants nearby. Anything in the Piazza Navona/Camp dei Fiori/Pantheon triangle is good.