What are the MUST-sees in Prague?

Jun 26th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

What are the MUST-sees in Prague?

My husband and I will be in Prague for a few days in August for a business trip. What are the definate must-sees? We love historic sights and have no problem with long walks. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Its 3 yrs since I was there and Ive been twice as I loved it so much.
Just wander around and get the feel of the place.
Take the cable car up the hill and have lunch at the restaurant at the top so you can enjoy the views.
You have to go to the castle. Take the bus up and walk back down -never putting your camera away.
Take the bus or metro to Vysehrad to the church of st Peter and Paul. I think youll like that.There are some ruins if I remember correctly and an art gallery.
go to one or two of the many concerts - i got my husband into classical music after our first trip to Prague.
Have a lovely time!
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM

My favorite is Prague Castle/St Vitus Cathedral -- amazing architecture; always has great exhibitions going on throughout the year. Take a walk through Petrin Park -- picnic is a good idea -- starting from Kinskych Square and down on the other side to Strahov Monastery. See Charles Bridge during the day and again at night; do the Vltava river trip and see all the bridges and historic monuments at one go. Don't miss the Old Town Square and Old Town Hall; catch the Astronomical Clock in motion. Take at least one day off and just stroll around the walkway along the river (do both sides); explore corners of the Old Town and get hopelessly lost -- you'd be surprised at every turn. Prague is an amazing city and you'll find lots of things to see and do. I spent 16 days there -- 7 on business -- and I didn't see all the places I wanted to visit in the first place. Have a good trip!
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM

We just returned a week or so back.

Everybody lists the same sights and they should be seen. However, for me the biggest surprise was the Wallenstein Palace. Not the Gardens which are beautiful but the Palace.

That's because every guide book mentions the Gardens but nothing on the Palace. I believe it's still used as the Senate building and is open to the public (free of charge) on the weekends only. Well worth scheduling for the weekend.
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Type <Pancaky Papers> into the search box at the top of the page for Thingorjus' trip report on Prague. It is a classic.

Handmaiden