Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wet Weather in Spain - how bad can it get?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:32 AM
winnie

Hi all,
I'm leaving for the trip next week - excited but seems like it's gonna be a wet and cold(brr) vacation. Anyone visited Spain in Winter time? How bad can the weather get? Sure, the weather is unpredictable but at least an inkling of the lowest lows helps. And what did some of you who have travelled in Winter do on rainy days? I wonder if day trips out to the small towns will be affected..Many thanks!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Eliza

The rain in Spain lies mainly on the plain.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:13 PM
mpprh

Hi

Spain is a big place .......... Where are you going ?

Check here cfor weather history : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/historical/historical.htm

To answer the original question ..... Maybe this much rain in some places :

---
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
---

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:40 PM
HildaOgden

As MPPRH said, Spain is big and the climate is variable, as is the terrain. Spanish radio was warning last night of heavy snow and rain storms in the north of the courtry whilst the Southern Mediterrean coast was as balmy as ever.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:02 PM
winnie

I'll be heading to Madrid/Toledo, Seville/Granada, Barcelona. Saw over the internet its gonna be snow/rain in Nth, Granada is also raining... brrr...

many thanks!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Ann

My son went surfing and skiing in the Atlantic off the southern coast over the weekend. They have had a LOT more rain than usual and he said it may get down into the 40's at night while we are there for the holidays next week. I think the days will be around 60F.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:06 PM
lizbeth

Winnie,
Granada is at a higher altitude and in fact is close to some of Spain's skiing destinations. I don't think that there will be snow heaped in the streets in Granada a la Toronto, but the climate is definitely on the brisk mountain air side.
I spent a winter in Barcelona, and it was cold, mainly because of the drafty apartment we inhabited, the lack of central heating, and the tiny water heater negating the possibility of a really deep hot bath. That said, I would compare the winter weather in Barcelona to be like San Francisco and certainly no worse. At the very coldest point of my Barcelona winter, there were a few snowflakes swirling around after one very chilly rainstorm - and that's about as cold as it ever gets in S.F., too!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Davidx

Of the places you mention Madrid is the most likely to be really cold but it is pretty unpredictable. I had a week in November in Galicia last year and it did not rain once - but who would ever dare predict that?
My tally with good weather in Granada is 2 out of 3 so far and the third was a matter of spoiling the distant views rather than getting soaked.
Go and enjoy it!