I Have All Of The Answers . . . .

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Wondering

I Have All Of The Answers . . . .

Did you ever notice that there are certain people who post constantly on this board to advise people, but NEVER ask a question themselves? With all of the planning they do, how is this possible? Do they think so little of everyone's opinions but their own?

I realize this may sound troll like, but I'm being completely sincere.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:28 PM
mimi taylor

Wondering, I post alot, hoping to help with my knowledge of Provence, but I do ask about other areas that I know very little about. And many others, that I know who post here do the same.
Everyone's opinion is valid. Some like structure, others don't. I think anyone ,whether the first time or not offers something new. Guide books are not as great as these posters.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Julie

I think the people who post here often realize that many of their questions have already been answered, many times over. By doing a search, its often possible to find the answers that you need without posting a new question. I rarely post a question because I can usually find the information already on the board. Newcomers often don't realize this, and thus start new threads.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:33 PM
reader1

Long ago (I've been around for years), after wondering the same thing, I came to the conclusion that they do indeed ask their questions - they just use pseudonyms to protect the projected image of the "all-knowing travel expert".

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Marilyn

I think Julie is right. I have started collecting information I know will be useful for future trips by copying it into a word file (ever since fodors "lost" all those posts last fall). So I won't need to ask for a hotel recommendation in Rome or one near the Bangkok airport because I've already got a great thread on it.

Also, while I have travelled a lot, I am more restricted right now because I am caring for an elderly parent. So I enjoy answering questions about places I've been relatively recently. It lets me live a little vicariously and hopefully is helpful to the poster.

I'll have more of my own questions I'm sure when I'm able to plan my next trip.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:13 PM
wondering too

Now that you mention it - there is one person who I have never read a question from but who always has an answer - even when he hasn't visited that certain place being asked about. Hint: if you don't have first hand knowledge of a place you shouldn't be offering advice regarding it.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:16 PM
A pseudonym user

<<they just use pseudonyms to protect the projected image of the "all-knowing travel expert".>>

I use pseudonyms when I ask questions, and I answer a lot of questions here. It's because there might be a lot of hoo-ha about my asking a question, not to protect some "image" (and I don't even think I have an "image"). I am starting to plan a trip for next year, and I have asked at least one question here and one elsewhere. By not using my name here, there were straightforward answers here, and the thread didn't get detoured by the various zanies.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Reader#2

There's nothing wrong with it, Leslie. Don't give it a second thought.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Sue

Wondering, I agree that listening is as important as talking (if not more.) HOwever, on some messageboards I've visited, there is the reverse problem - people ask questions, but never contribute. This doesn't seem right either.

I don't ask many questions, for three reasons. As Julie said, a lot of the time, someone else has 'beaten one to the punch' with a question. (I just found fifty threads about Lake Como, including questions I never would have thought to ask, but I'm glad someone did.) Sometimes it doesn't make sense to ask - e.g. it's impossible to know whom to ask for a trip report, even though whenever someone posts one, I always enjoy reading their subjective opinions about a place. And other times the questions I might have, have to do with factual information, not opinions. Where possible, I try and get these facts from the source, rather than ask for them here. I know most posters here try to be accurate, but some things are better coming from the horse's mouth: for example rail schedules from a railway site, opening hours for a museum from a museum site, or driving times from a trip planner like viamichelin.com. (I also realize that not everyone is comfortable yet with the Internet, or has enough access time on the Internet, so that they are able to find out about these sites.) I guess what I'm saying is that an absence of questions can stem from a whole host of reasons, in addition to the one you suggest.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:35 PM
NoQuestionsAsked

I hardly ever ask questions here, but I answer loads. The two times I did ask a question, no one could answer it. One of the reasons I can answer lots of questions is I have loads of guidebooks and maps and literature, and I've been everywhere in Europe over a few decades, and lived there for a few years. And I know how to do research, which is what 99% of the people who post here don't know how to do. They don't go to bookstores or libraries - they'd rather ask on a messge board. Me? I'd rather figure it out for myself - that's half the fun. So I don't need to ask questions.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Tom

<<if you don't have first hand knowledge of a place you shouldn't be offering advice regarding it.>>

There are plenty of times when this is an irrelevant principle.

When you have information from a plannaed trip that had to be canceled.

When you know where to find an answer from the direct source. As Sue says, when you can direct someone to the horse's mouth.

When you know about a previous posting or a published answer that is likely to be of interest to the person asking the question.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:42 PM
xxx

And now for my impression of Jack Nicholson in the dramatic courtroom scene in A Few Good Men.

You want a question? YOU CAN'T HANDLE A QUESTION!

Thank you.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Ron

I don't see a problem here. REALLY NOT.

As long as these people give us REAL INFORMATION, REAL ADVICE, ACCURATE INFO, what in the world is bothering anybody??

People like Sheila from Scotland, or Ben from London, they are EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Why does it bothering anybody?

Who CARES why they do it? Why it give them satisfaction?

Is doing GOOD to others bad?

Some people are just so WEIRD. With a bad temper, negative approach, to say the least.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:16 PM
xXx

dId YoU eVeR nOtIcE tHaT nO oNe WrItEs LiKe ThIs?

ThAt'S a GoOd ThInG sInCe It'S vErY aNnoYiNg To ReAd.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:34 AM
B.Grateful

What funny things to gripe about!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:13 AM
xxx

Rex

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:36 AM
local

One answer to the original question is that many questions are simply answered by people that live here in Europe and are just happy to help visitors - they have no reason to ask questions about places they know well from first hand knowledge.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:43 AM
gigi

Gee, so much time spent analyzing everyone else's reasons for asking or answering questions! Think we could get group rates for therapy? Some people have too much time on their hands and, when they have no question to ask or answer to give, still feel compelled to post something, however inane.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Patrick

I do a lot of both here. And I usually let the insults roll right off me, but it seems when I ask questions I get slammed even more than when I offer advice. I once asked opinions between two restaurants and I got a response, "what's the matter, you too stupid to make up your own mind?"

You might also notice that some of us do our planning in a short period of time. A couple of months ago I was asking dozens of questions as I planned next summer's trip, but that is now pretty well organized and all hotels reserved, so there will be fewer questions. But I continue to come here pretty much daily. Nowinstead of my own questions, I'm more into reading other people's questions and offering suggestions.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Karen

Wondering:

I post answers when I know them, but don't ask a lot of questions. Why? Because I do a lot of research first myself. This includes various guide books, this website, lots of internet searches, etc. I used the search feature of this website when planning my trip to London (scheduled for 1 month from today - yeah!), and since there is SO MUCH info here about England already, almost any question I might have had has already been answered here somewhere. So, no need to ask questions.

As for answering questions, I have been to Europe a dozen times before, so even though I am just learning about England, I can provide useful advice on various parts of Italy, Greece, Paris, Prague etc...so I help when I can.

People like PatrickW and Ben Haines and a variety of others spend a huge amount of their time helping people get the most out of trips to places like London, and this board would not be the same without their great advice! It doesn't bother me one bit that they don't ask questions. Who cares?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -