White and windy Spain

Search

White and windy Spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White and windy Spain

It is freezing.. snowed all over above 1,000 meters and gale winds blowing!!
hope next week is better.

We ( i, at least) are getting tired of this unusually cold winter in spain.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Are they making any long range forcasts - for the next month or so - saying if the weather force that is giving you such a cold winter is going to change? I heard it was something "stalled" near the artic circle (I'm a little vague on this point)that is causing Europe to have cold wet weather this winter while the northeast of the US/Canada is unusually mild and snowless. There was just an article in the paper this weekend about how unhappy the snow sport people are around here. Where in Spain are you?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Hang in there with the weather. When we left on Thursday last week, it was snowing in Madrid, and very cold.

We spent 5 weeks from January 20-February 23 and with the exception of one 68 degree day in Seville, I never wore a short sleeve shirt.
But we have to say that the weather did not really deter us.

We just bundled up and went en paseo with all of the other hearty Spaniards.

Ken
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Where are you lincasanova? If you were a skier, you'd probably be happy with the current weather. I'm not a skier either, so I know how you must feel. Still, Spain is estupendo no matter what (and we have a bellows(sp?) from Spain that I have found to be very handy making fires here in rainy (though not snowy) Seattle.

Best wishes,
Paula
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Yes, it's raining all the day here in Castellon and there's snow in the mountains surrounding !. In Madrid snowed too.
I hope it gets better soon, I'm also getting tired ! (in a few months, I will be here complaining about hot weather..sure !! Weather here used to be mild and it's getting more extreme each year)
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

valencia..
hey kenderina.. can you believe these temps??!!!

we got our heating bill...OUCH!

used to be MILD, sunny and crisp.
hopefully this will literally blow out of here.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:14 AM

I just walked from my friend's apartment to the coffee shop in Brooklyn and it is 18ºF, so below 0ºC. And windy. Last night I had to walk from another friend's apt in Manhattan to Columbus Circle (5 blocks) and I couldn't feel my legs except for the pain of mild hypothermia.

And I still love it here. . .
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I know when we were in Spain last fall Spain was undergoing a very bad drought. Something I could certainly relate to, living in the southwestern United States! I'm wondering, with what seems like atypical cold weather and snow, will this help in any way to ease the drought conditions of last year?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Oh this is all very bad news for my upcoming hikes in the Italian Alps! Think SUNSHINE!!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

chele60, they are saying the snow is good for the crops. they even had to plow some streets in MADRID!! and surrounding residential areas.

Guy18, i am thinking sunshine.. but it ain't doin' much good.
sitting with blanket on knees.

artlover, actually.. we love to ski.. but there is too much snow for us to even try to get up there right now.
suggestions are not to go on trips unless necessary. plus.. have not been able to get away to ski lately.

maybe soon. certainly won't be melting fast!

the few hours the sun was out today (finally) it was fabulous.. but it is still very gray and COLD.

good night!

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM

I'm sure the vintners in La Rioja are very happy...on one of our better weather days on our trip of last month, while staying at Villa Abalos in La Rioja, we went on a wonderful walk through vineyards and to visit old historical sites. We came across some men tending their fields and we chatted for a while. I was pretty ignorant about vines and grapes and they explained to me that their most fervent desire right then was that it started to snow and snowed in the mountains for a week, which would guarantee lots of water for the thirsty vines in the summer.

So I guess if we want to be drinking that wonderful Crianza in several years, we ought to embrace the weather, que no.
Ken
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Lincasanova:
We're heading for the Lecrin Valley in less than 4 weeks. What's happening to the almond blossoms and lemon/orange trees?
I live in New Hampshire and it was 10 below zero here this morning. (and we got about 8 inches of snow this past weekend, the first major snow we've had this winter, just about.)
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

doesn't seem to have affected the onos down here near the coast in valencia.. have not ventured further up. so can't tell you.

the almond trees are in bloom here now.. and i understand a little cold for the oranges is good.
they are not talking about any agricultural disaster ont.v. here in the "comunidad" so... must be all positive.

sun is back out so temps MUST RISE...

have a nice trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM

Today, on my way from the subway to my office (approx 2 km), I lost feeling in my legs. I would have wrapped my scarf around them, but it was keeping my neck from freezing and snapping in two. Anyways, I tried to generate heat by rubbing my legs together as I walked, but that got dangerous thanks to the ice.

Thank you, Boston.

Claire