Westminster Hotel or Best Western Premire? Nice, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between these two hotels. Best Western has bad reviews on Trip Advisor, but look very nice and convenient to the beach. Westminster has good reviews but is more expensive. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM

I used to stay at The Westminster almost every summer. Haven't had the chance to go back in a few years, but given the choice, I'd go there again. The location is very central, and the hotel has its own private beach just across the street, although there is a charge for using it. ( Just so you know this is a common practice at most of the hotels in Nice.)

If you book there, ask for a sea view room. The rooms at the back of the hotel obviously have no or limited view, and can be noisy since they are practically on top of the adjacent apartment buildings.
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM

You might also consider the Mercure Promenade des Anglais, a short walk from the rue Masséna pedestrian zone and Vieux Nice.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM

I stayed at the Westminster a few years ago. We had the top floor, corner room. It had a wraparound terrace with a gorgeous view of the sea. Loved it!

-Roberta
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM

How funny! We often stayed in that top floor, corner room, too. Very large, with a lovely terrace where I spent many mornings drinking coffee and staring out to sea. Heavenly. I think it was on the fifth floor, but ask if you decide to book there.

Don't know if it's still there, but on rue meyerbeer, ( left out of the hotel, first left onto meyerbeer) there was a small, wonderful Italian pizzeria/restaurant about a block or two down on the right hand side. I temporarily can't come up w/ the name, but if I find it, will post again. It was really good!!
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Found it! It's BARRACUDA on rue Meyerbeer. I haven't been in two years, but it was our go- to place in Nice for a reasonable, delicious dinner. I especially loved their thin-crust pizzas.
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:54 AM

It was room #506 (best views at The Westminster). The hotel is a few minutes from Rue Massena which has many great shops and restaurants, lively atmosphere day & night. We were within walking distance to the trains and took day trips to Cannes, Eze and Monaco.

-Roberta
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! We are going to stay in Westminster (sounds like Seaview is worth the extra $, hopefully we can get 5th floor).

Two more questions - does anyone have comments on the breakfast buffet and/or the beach attached to the hotel Le Sporting?
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM

Breakfast wasn't included in our rates, we grabbed a coffee & pastry in the neighborhood.

We went to the Westminster beach once, I believe they charged us to do so (can't remember). They had waiter service at the beach & nice lounge chairs. It was a rocky beach (no sand), a bit difficult to walk on. The sea had quite a bit of jellyfish and the scar on my shoulder from one of their stings lasted several months (it was worth it).

-Roberta
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Unless your room comes w/ breakfast, I'd skip it. There used to be ( two years ago) a few wonderful fresh fruit stores and bakeries right around the corner on rue Meyerbeer. We'd grab something from one of those or both, and head to the beach.

The beach is exactly as described above. But other than a strip or two of beach just outside St. Jean Cap, and in Juan-les-Pins, most of the beaches in the area are pebbly. Le Sporting Beach was quite a scene when we visited, so we enjoyed it very much. Lots of vacationing Italian families, some French, and some beautiful young models selling Spanish bathing suits on the beach. Lunch there was very good, but a little expensive.

On a different subject, do you like Lebanese food? We had lots of really delicious lunches at a place called HABIBI, only a few blocks away from The Westminster on one of the side streets. In fact, I think it's the next left ( coming out of the hotel) from rue Meyerbeer.