Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Westminster Abbey - Verger or London Walks tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting aside the issue of cost, does anyone have an opinion to offer regarding whether the Verger tour or the London Walks tour of Westmister Abbey might be more informative or interesting? Do you know whether you have to pre-book the Verger tour or whether you just turn up? The Abbey website wasn't very clear on this.

Last time I was in London (5 years ago), I only did a walk-past of the Abbey as I think the long lines and possibly the cost seemed prohibitive, but this time around I am more interested in seeing it. I enjoy history, so thought a tour might be more interesting than just walking around the Abbey.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM

I've not done a London Walks tour of Westminister Abbey so I can't compare but we thought the Verger's tour was excellent. Informative, took us to roped off areas and our particular Verger was a delight. He even offered to organise for our family to sit in the seats reserved for the various Governor-Generals of Canada, Australia etc. for the service the next day. Although we are not particular religious this turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.

Obviously we thought it was well worth the money. We didn't pre-book at all -just asked to join the next tour leaving.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can - definitely the Verger's tour. Nothing against LW, but the Vergers are the best.

I would most certainly pre-book for the Verger. You can turn up - but they are small groups and can fill up very quickly.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shandy and Janis. I'll look into the Verger tour. My only concern with this was not knowing how long we could be in the queue outside and maybe missing the tour as a result.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:23 AM

The queue can be pretty long but normally it moves pretty quickly. The first verger's tour is at 10:00 and the Abbey opens at 9:30 so if you are there near opening time you should be fine. The main problem isn't getting inside by 10:00, it is that so many people ahead of you in line will want to take the tour that by 10:00 it is usually full. But if you have booked that isn't an issue.

The tours are every 30 mins in the morning and I think twice in the afternoon.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM

Complete schedules at http://westminster-abbey.org/visitor/tour.htm
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robespierre, I had seen the website, but it didn't mention the ability to pre-book tours, but there is an "information desk" that I can contact.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:00 AM

Yes it does . . .

from the website
For opening times, Verger tour times <u>and reservations for individuals and families</u>&quot;, and other visitor information.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7654 4900
Fax: +44 (0)20 7654 4894
E mail: [email protected]

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Sorry guys, I didn't get as far as the &quot;Information Desk&quot; page. I was looking at the &quot;Tours&quot; page.

.. it's the end of financial year.. I'm tired, busy and in need of sleep..

.. and in count down mode to my trip..35 days..
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM

Verger -- no question. They practically live there, so they know it like the back of their hand(s). Hopefully you get the lovely woman in the glasses, she's been there for like 20+ years. We took her tour twice (in '02 and '04).