wedding dress in Italy

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wedding dress in Italy

Hello,

I am travelling to Europe in 2 months for a month and planning to buy a wedding dress there. Could you please suggest me a good place in Italy or Austria to buy a dress a good one with a good quality around 15000 euro? Can you also tell me if there any sales season for wedding dresses? I have also heard about a village in Italy, where only wedding dresses are sold, unfortunately I have no idea where is it close to. If somebody has any information about it, please let me know.

I would be very grateful, if you could help me.
And Thank You in advance, Aytan
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Did you mean E15,000??? Or (more normal) E1,500?

I live in Venice, previously travelled frequently to Italy and now you mention it, I've never seen a wedding dress in a shop here. But if it's anything like Britain, you try on shop samples, choose your dress, get measured & then your one is made for you, with delivery time generally c.3-5 months. Then any last minute adjustments are made when it's delivered, just before the wedding. Is it for yourself, i.e. would you be able to get measured & have it sent on (minus last minute adjustments)? Again in Britain (but the seasons are obviously the same), the shop sampls tend to be sold off at a discount during mid-late summer, after the main season for ordering is past.

(P.S. If it is for yourself, best wishes for you forthcoming wedding!)

(P.S. If you really do want to spend E15,000 obviously none of this counts as you'll be going to a designer!)
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are two chains with stores throughout Italy. Sorry, but the websites give no hint of their prices.

http://www.cotinsposa.com/

http://www.sanpatrick.com/
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Agree that 15,000 euros for a wedding dress is a designer that will make whatever dress you want - based on samples that he shows you. Agree that 1,500 euros is a much more common price for a wedding dress you would find in a shop - rather than a designer workroom.

Also, the prcoess is a long one - requiring a number of fittings. Will you be able to spend enough time inn any one place - or return as needed - for all of the fittings.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 08:14 PM

clothes.europages.co.uk/.../hc-17610A/cc-ITA/Italy/Gowns-wedding.html

Try the above website for a directory of Italian Wedding gown designers if that is really your budget. The most beautiful wedding gowns I've ever seen were in a shop in Naples - one of a kind, in the thousands.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jean, I will definitely visit stores.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

nytraveller, I will try to find a way, if it will be required, unfortunately do not live in Europe, but my parents are in Vien, so if needed I will stay there and it will be easier for me to travel to Italy. thank you for your answer!
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, thank you for immediate answer.
Unfortunately I don't know if I will be able to travel forth and back to Italy for many fittings, but if I don't find a ready one, I will do my best to find a way to come to Italy frequently.
If you know any shops where I could buy a ready dress please tell me, might be a designer dress, some brands maybe, i was thinking about Vera Wang, but I think it is a bit expensive... And I don't have time to wait until discounts if they are in mid-late summer, as I am planning wedding for June.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass, I could not open the link.... could you please resend it? thank you
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

And if you have any idea of that village with all the wedding gown shops please tell me what is the name of that village
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:42 AM

The name of the village you are after is Putignano which is about 40 km south of Bari
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Wedding dresses are NEVER off the rack. You try on samples, then they product one in your size, then they fit it. EVen for modestly priced dresses - never mind designer ones.

If that is truly your budget I would do some searching in the Italian bridal magazines to see which designers you like and make appointments with a couple of them.

Yes - Vera Wangs are very popular - but NOT off the rack.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 05:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The bride has already made her trip to Italy.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 06:39 AM

I never saw this thread before. I wonder what she wound up doing.

Many of the gowns on that St. Patrick website were quite beautiful -- a lot of lovely, classy designs that were not run of the mill.
I'd guess they were fairly pricey.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 10:57 PM

My wife got married (we are talking 18 years ago) in an Austrian wedding dress bought from Wenger in Getreidegasse, Salzburg. In spite of Wenger being one of the top traditional houses, it turned to be much more cheaper than buying it in Italy; say, one third of the average Italian price. As the dress needed little fitting, it could be fitted in a few days, the lenght of our stay.

Austrian wedding dresses are mostly in the traditional Trachten style - my wife wanted exactly that style that is quite different from the usual one: mostly non white (my wife chose very light pink with golden reflexes - but could be done in white if you want), no veils, a silk apron to be worn over it, and generally speaking a cut more like 18th century than 20th. A bouquet of artificial flowers completed the outfit. As the flowers were fake the bouquet is still in our wardrobe, and the dress, with or without the apron, could be worn again for some important occasions. (Actually, my wife is the only lady I know that has worn her wedding dress multiple times and could wear it again). If you want to get a glimpse at the style, type Trachten Brautkleid in google images.

Another top atelier in Salzburg could be the Gwandhaus Gössl; probably much more than the 1500 euro range, but still well cheaper than the 15000 euro range.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM

I think the chances of the OP - who is presumably already married - or anyone else - needing an austrian style wedding gown are slim - unless they are austrian traditionalists.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 12:25 PM

Hi Aytan,

Have you managed to buy a dress from Italy? Which city have you visited at the end and which boutiques? What range did u get the dress and find most dresses in?

Appreciate your help as I am thinking between France, Spain and Italy for bridal shopping? And don't know which is the best destination
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Samin90,
This thread is five years old, and the OP made only that one post, so you are not likely to get any info from her. Good luck.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 02:35 PM

Samin90- I think if you picked a major city, you'd find a few suitable shops in any of those countries. I saw some gorgeous wedding displays in Paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -