Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Website that shows the most effective ways for transport within Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a website that can help in regards to determining the most effective ways to transport within Europe? My locations seem to be very inconvienent in regards to train connections (some crazy connections) and even flights within Europe. The only efficient route I have right now is on the TGV from Paris to Cannes. The others are quite frustrating. I really don't want to change my cities either. Here are my cities:

Paris, Cannes, Venice, Lake Como (Varenna), Lucerne
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Cannes via Nice to Venice via the Riviera Day Trains - optimal train leaves Nice about 10am - change in Milan arrive Venice 5:40pm

Train from Venice via Milan to Como, railhead for Lake Como - there are some direct Cisalpino (CIS) trains or you can take hourly or more trains and change in Milan - Como is about 40 mins from Milan and on the main rail line to Lucerne (via Lugano) - about 4 hours i suspect Como to Lucerne

Your rail links are pretty straight forward - you may consider the 3-country Eurail Select Pass that would cover it all. For schedules i always use bahn.de - the German Rail web site that is the easiest i have seen to use for schedules all over Europe - just put in your cities and you'll get all the times and details. Some superb sites that may help novices understand the fantastic European rail system - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com

Your itinerary is perfect IMO
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM

The website www.whichbudget.com
will show you which budget airlines fly between different cities.

For train research, I also use the same site as Pal but my bookmarked URL is:
http://www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

I have never booked a trip through them, but generally wait until I arrive then go to a train station and book my travel. I have printed out my itineraries and then can just show them at a ticket counter, plus you can also view the list of all of the stops - which I like so I can keep track of where I am.

For your travel within Italy, you might try the Italian train site:
http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

I think you can travel Venice to Milan to Varenna in about 4 hours. (I don't think you need to change trains in Como, but not positive). I did a quick check for Varenna to Luzern and I'm getting a route that takes you back to Milan and then to Luzern. I thought when I did this route, we went Varenna to Como to Luzern, but I could be wrong.

You have got a lot of resources to help with your planning! Have a fun trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM

The Varenna-Esino (sp?) train station is on the Milan-Tirano rail line that ties in with the Bernina Pass rail route - you do not go thru Como by rail to reach Varenna - but this is the best way to go and i was remiss to say Como so thanks for the correction

but to get to Lucerne the fastest then take a boat from Varenna to Como (or a train back to Milan but that i think would be longer)

If you have an extra day then the Bernina Pass route is one of the very top scenic rail routes in Europe! It takes you via St Moritz and Chur to Zurich, a half hour or so from Lucerne.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM

I haven't done the research but the only real problem I see would be Cannes to Venice. If you truly are doing Cannes to Venice then you might train to Nice and fly on to Venice.

For Como to Switzerland - this assumes a minimal amount of baggage - it is possible to boat to Como and then pick up a train to Switzerland but this might make for an overly complicated day.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM

And the Como boat dock is about a mile from the main S Giovanni (name?) mainline train station for trains to Zurich/Lucerne via the Gotthard route - taking a taxi from boat dock to train station is of course easy enough. And if you pay more than for the normal boats you could hire a taxi boat
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM

I believe that on one of your other threads you had mentioned possibly driving. You could pick up a car outside of Venice, drive to Varenna, then on to Switzerland. Could be expensive but might be better for you.

When using whichbudget.com, I always keep a map beside me. Sometimes there is an airport that I hadn't thought of, but could use.

Anyway, it appears that there is an AirBerlin/NIKI flight from Nice to Venice. You would have to train from Cannes to Nice first.