Search

Weather Wise Travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather Wise Travel

Hey Guys:

My friend and I will be in London/Paris/Rome in mid-to-end of September. What can we expect weather-wise during that time?

One year I was in London (mid-September) and it was slightly chilly (by the way, I am very cold-natured), but I was also in Paris during this same timeframe and it was surprisingly hot (although I had been told to wear layers).

Rome I really don't know what to expect during that time because I have never been.

I know the weather can be unpredictable, but we plan to live out of one suitcase (Rick Steves' style) each for 9 days and don't want to pack a lot of clothes.

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM

www.weatherbase.com will give you historical averages by month for high and low temps and precipitation.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
ira

Hi D,

>we plan to live out of one suitcase (Rick Steves' style) each for 9 days and don't want to pack a lot of clothes.

For only 9 days, you only *need* one carryon between you.

More important, though, is that you want to see London, Paris and Rome in only 9 days.

Are you sure?

I suggest that you would be better off doing any two.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM

You've got 4 months to pack, haha! I am a planner too, so no worries
My strategy is to check websites that give historical weather info to give myself an idea of what I'll want to bring (and give myself an excuse to shop).
wunderground.com
weather.com
I then check the 10 day forecasts up until the day before I leave so I can adjust accordingly.
It is sooo much easier when the weather will be warm! I just packed for a 9 day trip with very variable weather, including mild days/cold nights:
1 pair jeans (lightweight dark trouser denim)
2 black pants (1 lightweight linen for hiking, 1 slacks)
1 skirt
2 light sweaters
1 heavier turtleneck sweater
1 long sleeve shirt
3 short sleeve shirts
1 light hoodie
1 short jacket
1 pair hiking shoes
2 shoes that look nice and are good for walking
1 long raincoat (expecting rain for sure or I'd skip this)
This all fits in my carry-on backpack, except for the outfit selected from this list that I will be wearing on the flight.
I think you are likely to have much warmer weather, but this list may be useful if fabric types are switched, etc., or I'd switch a pant for another skirt. have fun!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM

Oh yeah, I didn't pay much attention to your travel plans since I am packing obsessed today and trying to pare down my own packing list. Only 3 days in any of those places sounds hard. Can you still reconsider?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Yorkshire and Ira:

Thanks for the suggestions, but Yorkshire, I am curious, you don't think 3 days in each city can be done? (I know I'll get spanked for posting under Weather, but here goes).

Okay, here are our plans:

My friend and I are not real big on doing too much, we're pretty much laid back kind of people (workaholics who cherish time off).

We are taking the HOHO tours in all three cities for two days and the 3rd day we are just relaxing. We're not big shoppers and the pub/bar/souvenir shop atmosphere suits us just fine.

We are flying in to Heathrow/London, taking the Eurostar from St. Pancras to Nord/Paris and flying Easyjet into Rome and flying out of Rome back to home.

Plus we looked at Rick Steves, fodors, tripadvisor and other 3 city tours and we pretty much copied their plans.

So what do you think?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM

Just a preference--I could stay in each of those places 9 days and barely leave the city, but it is your trip(!) and it sounds like you carefully planned it and did not try to do too much in each place. So enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM

Hi dwebb - I agree with cutting out one place. You may not realize that when you change locations, you are losing at least a half day. You need to factor in the time it takes to check out, get to the airport or train station (and you have to be early at the airport), then the actual travel time, then the time it takes to get from the airport or train station to the hotel and get checked in. I don't know if you are counting your travel days into those 9 days, and if so, you have just lost 2 days and you're down to 7 days for those 3 places. But, either way, you don't have 3 days in each place when you factor in the travel times.

I think changing locations once is enough for a short trip. If you get bored in any of those cities, there are lots of day trips you could take to get a taste of another town.

September is great time to travel. The temps are usually comfortable and there are fewer people traveling. Have fun!

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys thanks so much for all your advice and help.

cls2paris what we plan to do is arrive in London first and then on the morning of the 4th day (which is actually day 1 on the next leg of our journey) take an early mode of transport to get to the next city early enough to enjoy a full day and so on.

So yeah, we are aware that we are loosing a bit, but I have been to Paris twice and London (for a day). I really wish we could cut our expensive London trip short, but friend wants to experience more than 1 day. Rome is my consolation for going to Paris and London with her.

So thanks, I will probably have to wait until we hit Rome to "have fun", but I promise you I will.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM

Ah well, seeing a place through someone else's eyes may make for a nice trip. I hope you convinced them to do things you had not yet done/seen. All the more reason to pack light with all that moving around, so keep on that. happy travels

Rome as a consolation for going to Paris--what a world