Weather in Paris in first October weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone, please, tell me what is the weather like in Paris in the beginning of October? I've read some of the posts here on Fodors and it looks like at that time of the year it rains there a lot, is that so? I would like to have a 4-day trip to this romantic city, but is it worth doing it in October? Maybe we have to plan the trip in the spring, when the weather is more pleasant?
Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM

you can check for historical rainfall and temperature averages at websites like wunderground.com; aside from probabilities, you'll have to take your chances. Paris has fickle weather, and that goes for spring as well. I think early October is one of the best times of year to travel, though days are a bit shorter, and there should be enough of a crispness in the air to make walking and sightseeing very pleasant, and a hot chocolate very justifiable.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Elaine!
That's the encouragement, I was looking for!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Hi Inese,

We visited Paris for 5 days in early Oct. Out of the five days, it poured rain all day for 4 days. It was so windy that it blew your umbrella insideout! We took a lot of cabs!

Weather is unpredicable more than about 5 days out anyway....
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM

We went in early October 2003 for 4 days, and it was clear and crisp the whole time. Actually, there was a bit of a cold snap that was probably a little more than "crisp" but I wore my layers and had a good time.

I think Paris' climate (at least temperature-wise) is similar to Seattle -- it has a reputation for rain, but it's not really as bad as you'd think.

Besides, what's more romantic than ducking into a Parisian doorway to avoid a deluge? It's just like mistletoe.

Jules
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:14 AM

By the way: Check out rue Saint Vincent, with the only remaining vineyard in Paris—there is a grape harvest festival there usually on the first Saturday in October, at the corner of rue des Saules and rue St-Vincent.
For an old article on that: http://www.paris.org/Ric/oct/08oct95/08oct95.html
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM

October is usually cool and pleasant, with mostly clear days. In November it starts to become overcast every day and more chilly. October is usually a good time of year to visit. Rain is a possibility at any time (it rains roughly every other day all year long in Paris, although in reality this means several rainy days, several dry days, several rainy days, etc.).
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:06 PM

That's not the only vineyard in Paris. On rue Leon Frot in the 11th arrondissement there's a well-tended vine wrapped around the outside of Melac, a longtime (and very nice) wine bar, and encroaching on the facade of the garage next door, that produces enough grapes for about 20 bottles a year. That harvest also is very festive.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:44 AM

oh, I don't know, does one vine make a vineyard? An existential question, no doubt.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:03 AM

We're short of green space here in the 11th arrondissement, so we make every vine count.