Weather in Paris in April

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in Paris in April

As many of you know, my hubby and I are planning a trip to Paris the third week in April. I have been so obsessed with finding a hotel (finally close to a decision---hoping to book at Hotel du Champ de Mars) that I failed to ask if anyone had traveled to Paris at this time of year. I live in Massachusetts, and April can be beautiful or winter-like, but I am not sure about Paris.

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks,
Natalie
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:51 PM

Weather can never be guaranteed, but I think you can probably safely count out the possibility of "winter-like" by the third week of April in Paris. Things should very green by then with trees leafing out and flowers in bloom. Here's hoping for sunny afternoons!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:00 PM

We were there the last week in April in 2002. Our weather was grand...chestnuts in blossom and all that. It did rain twice, but we were prepared. I wore a light microfiber raincoat most of the time, anyway, and our hotel provided us with umbrellas. We live in the DC area and I don't think the weather is too different from ours (except that there it stays light much longer...almost till 9 by that time of year). Our other two trips have been in May and the weather was a bit nicer the first time, but just this past year it was cooler and rain-y-er than the year before. It's Spring. The weather does what it will in Spring. Have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:27 PM

Hi Natalie,

I'm being totally cheeky when I say, who cares! You'll be in Paris in April! That's all that really matters...

Be well & have a blast!

Eileen
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:30 PM

My experiences with weather in April in Paris have been the following:

1. Freak snow flurries and freezing temperatures
2. Hot as blazes - had to go buy sleeveless shirt
3. Rainy and cold
4. Rainy and balmy
5. Rainy and halfway between cold and balmy
6. Chilly and cloudy.
7. Sunny and cold
8. Partly cloudy and windy and semi-cold.

I suggest you consult a weather site right before you leave for a realistic evaluation of the conditions you may find. There is no way other people's experience can help you with this.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM

April is just as impossible to predict in Paris as Boston.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:39 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ris_france.htm
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...nthly/FRXX0076
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 10:13 AM

ilovelabs2003, the avg high in Paris, Worcester, Boston is 57,54,56; low is 42,36,41 and mean is 50,45,48. So Paris is somewhat warmer. You also are unlikely to experience the extremes that we in Mass may have in April. We've visited in February, April, June and November and never found it anything but wonderful. Maybe New Englanders can tolerate anything but extreme heat.

If you click on Paris for a destination and go halfway down the page, you'll see a button for the extended forecast. Worth checking near your departure date for last minute adjustments to your wardrobe.

April in Paris,
Chestnuts in blossom,
Holiday tables,
Under the trees.
April in Paris,
This is a feeling,
No one can ever reprise.

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:00 PM

jsmith,

Whom can I turn to........?

Very good.

By the way, How is your heart? What have you done to it?

Don't you love weather questions?????

C
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Have been there the past two
Aprils - the weather was mid-60s, with on and off rain some days, but the tulips and other spring flowers were gorgeous. When the sun was shining, it was clear and so gorgeous it took my breath away. I used an all-purpose raincoast most days.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:20 PM
blh

We were in Paris in mid April - it was rainy and very cold (about 40 degrees), and we nearly froze! When we were there in October, it was beautiful - 65-70 degrees and sunny. Next time, it will probably be the reverse. Just be prepared with rain gear and layers!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Natalie,
I have to agree with all the posters - we go to Paris nearly every April and just about the time you are planning. We have had shirtsleeve weather and heavy coat weather. Beautiful sunshine and rain. It is a real crap shoot, this past April was lovely, a little cooler then London (where we really ran around in shirtsleeves!!) but very nice. We slept with the window open a little at our hotel (Holiday Inn Republique). You simply never know. I would not think it would be too cold, but I'd be sure to have sweaters and/or blazer, light jacket just in case. The flowers all are lovely by 3rd week in April. The tulips are really nice, many colors. Do take an umbrella tho, you never know about rain. We had none this year, but we've gotten soaked other times. Be prepared!!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Curious, an excellent site for song lyrics is: http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/summer.html

I'm always amused by weather questions and answers because there are so many anecdotal replies: palette experienced mid 60s and blh nearly froze at 40. The historical average in April is 50.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:57 AM

We were in Paris in mid-April of 2002 and the weather was fine. 50s-60s, a few days with rain, not a washout, just some rain, but the trees were in bloom, the tulips in the Tulieries were in full bloom, it was beautiful. It could get chilly at night though so be prepared for that. I've been there also in August and Sept. and April was my favorite time.