Pluses and minus for trip to Paris either Feb. or April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our couple trip in '08 will revolve around my wife's school schedule. We are trying to decide b/t Feb. and April school breaks. It will probably be cheaper in Feb. and less crowded. I imagine that there will be better weather and greenery in April.
Opinions please
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Roll over, Beethoven, and let me say that, at least for me there, any time is good but yes,in April, there will be more greenery but rates will be higher. My last trip was in February last year, it rained alot but how nice to slip into a café for a drink in an unexpected street stop and watching people rushing to get a seat and watch the passing parade. It does rain in April in spite of the Song , "April in Paris." Paris is lik New England, blink and the weather may change.
Sunny today in Boston but now it looks like rain coming my way.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We've been incredibly lucky with trips to Paris in February. We've always had okay to really nice weather in the 5-6 trips we've taken. This year we were there Feb 18-25 and while we had great weather (sunny most days and temps in the 50's during the day), it was a school holiday in France so it was a bit more crowded than usual. Never been there in April so i can't compare.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I prefer April and if your dates don't include Easter it won't be school vacation time or be as crowded as Easter week.

Longer, warmer days are better for sightseeing and there will be spring flowers everywhere.

If cost is an issue then February is probably slightly cheaper. I'd still choose April.

By the way my last trip was in July 06 and it was hot but wonderful.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM

We were there from Feb 22 to March 9th this year and pleasantly surprised by the good weather. Very little rain and only cool enough for a light jacket. Loved it!

Heading back April 10th and really unsure how to pack. The weather forecast seems to be unseasonably mild but, since we were supposed to have rain every day of our February trip and didn't get it, I'm hesitant to trust forecasts this year.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Easter will be early in 2008, March 23.

I was in Paris this year, Feb. 4 - 11th. No rain, chilly, but great..it was Paris!

I will be there in Oct and again in mid April for 2008.

Just take layering clothes and enjoy....
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM

Yestravel if you see this...
do you mind re-visiting the Forks/Hoh Rainforest thread of mine, as I had a follow-up question re: Manitou lodge for you. Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM

beethoven, noting the public school vacation dates for 08 in France might help in making your decisions. I have used this in trip planning.

http://tinyurl.com/23kob8

Hope it helps, Deborah

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
pdx

Another vote for February. It was much more pleasant visiting the sites without the crowds. I was amazed at how large the crowds were when I was there mid-March this year. It makes the sightseeing much more strenuous. Definitely go in February and enjoy the warm restaurants and the steamy windows. The whole trip will be much more enjoyable when you aren't facing long lines at every turn. It's psychologically tiring seeing all those people (and they felt the same about me).
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM

<b>There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.</b> - Travel adage

Paris is delightful any time of year - less crowded and cheaper in February is a bonus.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM

We went in February too and enjoyed it. Weather was in the 50's and never bitter cold. Some of the previous posters mentioned light rain. It's more of a nusance than anything where you really don't need an umbrella just a light rain jacket or pullover.

Might be something to bring along if you go with Feb.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM

My choice would be April over February. Personally, I love starting each morning in the Tuileries,where I feed the fish, ducks and birds before starting my day, sun shining and the beautiful flowers and leaves on the trees.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM

We usually go to Paris in April, as that's when my husband's school break is too. We like that time of year -- not too cold, but not hot either. Some years it's been pretty warm, though -- around 70 degrees. I don't think February could compare, and I imagine it's a lot greener in April, though we've never been in February.

Sandy