Weather in late Oct/early Nov in Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Not only do we have to scale WAY down in our packing from California (20 kilograms checked, 8-10 kilograms carry on), I also realize that we need to bring coats or sweaters or whatever! Yikes.

Living in California, well, let's just say we don't have many "winter" clothes.

I don't believe it will be snowing the last week of Oct, but can someone recommend what type of winter coats we should bring? Lot's of rain? I've read some very conflicting information.

Thanks!

Dawn
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003870

Probably cool to cold; not too much rain; but if the wind blows, it can feel very cold.

A good quilted parka works well (you can wear it onto the plane to save on your baggage allowances), and a hat that covers the ears is very useful. Most indoor places are well heated.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I had to laugh outloud when I read "quilted parka." I haven't even heard of a "quilted parka" since I was 20 years old living in Pennsylvania!

OMG...I really don't think I realized it was going to be THIS cold. I sure hope we are up for this....I really think we were thinking in the 50 degree category. I think I may have been horribly wrong.

Thanks....

Dawn
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Think of what you are missing by living in California -- real weather! As you have lived in Pennsylvania, you know about continental climate.

Don't let it bother you. Budapest is a great city, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Budapest isn't Siberia. Weather is fairly similar to NE US at that time of year. (ANd October is one of the most pleasant months in NY.) More or less chilly and brisk with a reasonable possibility of rain.

Unless you have really thin blood I wouldn;t bring a winter coat - even for November. A raincoat with a removable liner would be fine - I usually take a leather jacket - but some days that's too warm. Bring a varietyy of sweaters/tops for layering - and realize days can be warm but nights chillier.

Also - definitely bring a sturdy folding umbrella and 2 pairs of comfy water-resistant walking shoes.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Ddarling-I thought I had responded to this post-or someone's like it. I was there in November, and it was in the 70's for like two days, and then the temps plunged to 30 degrees, with the wind whipping off the Danube-so you need to be prepared for a sudden change in weather-which means bringing gloves and a scarf but a lightweight coat. Make up the difference with layered clothing. You may not need the coat, but you don't want to be caught without it if the temps. do change suddenly.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Dawn... we spent last Christmas there, coming from FL and it was really not that bad. Oct/ Nov you should still be able to get by with a fleece jacket. Perhaps long sleeve T-shirt under it. For rain gear, which it most likely will be doing some of at that time, go with a cheap plastic/pvc poncho that you can buy at any "mart" for about $5.95, and just leave it there.

It might be cool outside, but almost every store is soooo overheated, that you can start to feel the sweat running down your back.

Definately hats/baseball cap and gloves, those parts of the body will be the coldest.

Also don't worry about over packing, you can purchase warmer stuff there if needed. ie: sweaters, jackets and even that quilted parka if you find it necessary. They have lots of second hand shops, and most everything is washed before sold. You can also purchase them at any mall/boutique. But not worth what you would have to pay for it, since you won't need it back home.