Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weather in Greece in May is it hot enough for the beach ??

Notices

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the typical weather for Greece in May. we will be there in either the third or fourth week in May. Thanks..
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Hello,

I was in Greece this past April, May and June. The weather was often quite warm, but the water was very cold and only started to warm up in June - even in early June most people found the water discouraging. In April and May, even a little wind qickly reminded me that the water was just not warm enough.

That being said, I did some swimming in May (Lesvos and Chios) - but I was usually the only hardy soul doing so.

Have a great trip and bring your suits - just be sure to bring your sense of humor if you plan on trying to swim.

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Thinking on it now...there was a heat wave the last week in May (I was in Mykonos) and though the water was cold, the weather was hot enough to drive many in the ocean!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM

It might depend on where you are. I was on Santorini in May of 2005 and although the water wasn't as warm as it would have been a month later, as long as the wind wasn't blowing it was still comfortable for a swim. Perhaps choosing someplace in the south would give you a better chance at warm water.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Susie, I always go in May, and it's my "policy" to swim at every island I visit -- so I try to start at a southerly isle & work my way north. Last year it was Rhodes starting May 21, and the water at Lindos was divine. In 2007, we start May 24 in Crete. That being said, I've swum at Naxos before May 15 at a shallow beach & it was OK. Coldest was Samos but that was May 9-14. ANd always, the sunbathing is delightfully warm.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM

It really depends on your tolerance for cool. In May the sun is quite warm and should be in the high 70"s to low 80"s but the water will be cool in the Cyclades. It is great for sunbathing but only good for a quick cool off dip in the water. Ther will be lots of people enjoying the beach in May.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 02:21 AM

You really can't predict Greek Island weather in May. This year it was cold until the last week of the month, and then suddenly turned hot, almost overnight.

I have been to the Cyclades many times in May, and always get some swimming in. The sun is warm, but if windy it can be cool in unsheltered spots. When that happens I look for beaches with rocks or stone walls to get out of the wind.

For sightseeing and other activities away from the beach, May weather is fine.

Evenings in May are almost always cool enough to require a sweater or jacket.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:45 AM

Depends which way the wind is blowing. If the wind is blowing off the water, it will be cool. A good beach will be a cove where the wind is not hitting you directly off the water.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:53 AM

And if you're on an island the wind is always blowing off the water.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:59 AM

;-) Seriously though, Wally is right. Those long, sandy beaches on Naxos have few places to shelter from the wind, but there are beaches on Paros and Antiparos where you can do just that. When the wind is up, temperatures drop. If the sun is shining, sheltered spots can be very pleasant for sunbathing.

Many people bring those little beach tents that can be pitched anywhere - a few rocks to weight them down, and you are ready for almost anything.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:15 AM

I was riding a motorcycle in Crete many years ago. On one side of the hill I was hot and as soon as the wind blew off the water, I was cold.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. We have changed our plans a bit and will be in Greece the first week of June. We had wanted to visit Santorini but we will check out Crete as well. Any recommendations for places to stay in Crete ?
Heimdall, what beaches are sheltered on Paros and Antiparos, any recommendations for places to stay that we could walk to the beach ?

We're looking for an relaxing week in, if possible, an area that is not crowded with easy access to a sheltered beach. We will be ending our one month vacation in Greece after having spent three weeks in Italy so would really like to just take it easy.

This will be our first visit to Greece so we are very excited !!!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM

First of all, sheltered beaches: on Paros, the beaches near Naoussa are inside the large harbour area, so get some shelter from the wind. Kolimbithres is probably the best of the lot.

On Antiparos there are about five or six beaches within walking distance from the main village. Psaraliki I & II are the most popular, and are somewhat sheltered from the northerly prevailing winds. When the wind is really strong, I walk a little further down the coast to Panagia Beach, which has a lovely stone wall at the back, offering perfect shelter. There is also the town beach, popular with families, as the water is shallow far out from shore. Last, but not least, is the camping beach, popular with the all-over tan set. Not much good when the wind blows strongly from the north, it has one unique feature - you can wade or swim to the island of Diplo, populated only by sheep and goats, and if you bring sandals, can have a walk around this deserted island.

For places to stay on Antiparos, a few I can mention are the Artemis, Mantelena, and Kouros Village. I always stay at Mikes Place, which is clean but very basic - it may be closed for renovation next season. You can find more on these websites: http://www.antiparos-isl.com/index.html, and http://www.islandstrolling.com/english/index.htm (go to the section on Antiparos, and click on 'Telephone list to Antiparos.' Some of the hotels have links to their own websites.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Heimdall

thanks for your help ! I'm bookmarking this. I'm really looking forward to "meeting" Greece.