Minimum layover at JFK

Search

Minimum layover at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minimum layover at JFK

Flying from BWI or one of the WAS airports on the way to London -- booked through -- what would you suggest as the minimal layover. For a couple who probably have never been in JFK before. Thx much.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
tcl

We had a 2 hour layover when we flew through JFK to Europe in 2004. It was more than sufficient time, even on the way home when we had to go through immigration. It took us less than 45 mins. to collect our bags and go through immigration, so we had a little more than an one hour wait before our flight. Although I don't know if there are more delays now after the bomb scare in August.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Not in my case. I had a 2 hour layover, not enough. Immigration was a nightmare. We ran for miles to get to our local flight, went through security again and missed our flight. This meant we waited six more hours for our next flight. Not a happy camper!

I guess it depends on what day and time you get there.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Going out, if it's same airline, then it's no difference from domestic-domestic connection. 45 minutes will be adequate.

Coming back, 1.5 hours is usually fine for US citizens/residents at most US airports. 2 hours preferred, and more if one's not US citizens/residents.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Are you asking how much time you need between your scheduled arrival and your scheduled departure? Or are you asking how much time you need between the time your flight actually arrives and the next one departs? Often those are two different times, but hard to plan. I only feel safe if I've allowed some time for my arrival flight to be late -- at least an hour so, but maybe that's just me.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Two hours is usually sufficient if you are just transferring to another flight on the same airline (or at least in the same terminal). However, if you have to get to one of the other JFK terminals, I'd strongly recommending scheduling a minimum of 3 hours between flights---and 4 if you can do it. This might seem like a lot, but you can sometimes get stuck in a very long wait for luggage, and you will have to claim and then re-check your luggage at JFK before you can get on your flight to London.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Doug, why is that? I've always been able to check my luggage through from my departure airport -- usually Miami. Why would she have to claim the luggage at JFK? SusieCue said they are "booked through" which I took to mean that they wouldn't have to claim luggage.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
J62

2 hours if same terminal, 3hrs preferrably 4 if different terminals???

Outbound flight is no different than a domestic flight - you'll only know you're leaving the country because they'll check your passport at checkin (at BWI), and the sign at the gate.

I have to disagree here. You can get from any single terminal to another in about 10min with the AirTrain.

Assuming boarding pass in hand and bags checked through, 45min outbound (no immigration or customs needed)
outbound same airline. If different airlines/terminals then 1hr is sufficient.

Returning, assuming US citizenship or perm res status, then add 30min.

JFK is not nearly as bad as LGA or EWR when it comes to backups due to weather or air traffic system congestion.

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM

We flew with American last year to Rome from LAX with a 2 hr layover at JFK. However, the month before the flight-it was changed to 50 mins.

We and another couple missed our connecting flight. We had to go to a different terminal (which was a far) and go through security again. We had carry ons and literally ran to the next terminal and still missed the flight. We had to wait 4 hours for the next flight to Rome w/Swiss Air and on top of that, had a 2 layover in Zurich. We were "lucky" we were able to leave that day as they wanted us to wait for the next flight out the following day.

I'd say at the very least 2 hours.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Could someone clarify <i>you will have to claim and then re-check your luggage at JFK before you can get on your flight to London.</i>
This makes me think we have to check luggage every time we have layovers?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Scarlett - As pointed out, that is not the case. Definitely not if on the same airline or on same ticket. Even if you're on two seperate tickets, you can still request the first airline to interline your baggage to your final destination when you check in for your first flight. Most airlines have interline agreement with each other.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:26 PM

It depends on several variables:

When in the yar are they flying (in the winter incoming flights are more likely to be late)

Are they on a single ticket and the same airline - or partner airline (so they won;t have to claim and recheck luggage) and hopefully - won;t have to change terminals

Coming back is a whole other story - and much depends on when they land (1 to 4 pm is by far the busiest and can totally clog up immigration as well as make huge delays in claiming luggage) as well as the above single ticket/change terminals or not.

For the later - JFK is the end of my trip and it has taken from 45 minutes to 2 hours plus from wheels down to leaving the terminal with my luggage.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Thanks rkkwan, after reading Doug Stallings post, I had to ask.
We are flying the same airline and the layover is within the US so I figured we are ok..
Have a good weekend!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for this help. Just one more question. If I understand correctly from replies, you can book your luggage through even on different airlines as long as they are partners, correct?