Weather in Berner Oberland in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering taking our children to the Berner Oberland in mid-June of next year. Our last visit there was 19 years ago in August. We had such beautiful weather and would love them to see the vivid blue skies and spectacular mountain peaks. I can't seem to find information on what the weather typically is like in June. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Is there typical weather anywhere?

I was in Lauterbrunnen for a week.
June 19 - 26.

It was hot and it rained. Usually the rain was the late afternoon thundershower type. On one day we drove up to the top of Susten Pass and on another day to the top of the Grimsel Pass just to find a cooler spot.

Strange sensation. Hiking in snow wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt. One big dog had the right idea.
He jumped out of the car and started rolling happily in a snow bank.

We did have some very clear days out of the 7 but it was 90 F or more.

Not the usual? Well, weather globally is shifting patterns. Who can say it will not happen again?
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

I realize there is no guarantee that the weather will be the same every June anywhere. I was just wondering what the averages are. Is there still usually snow on hiking trails? Is June any rainier than other months? What are the average highs and lows?

Several years ago, we visited Glacier National Park in June. Despite a 5 day visit, we never really saw the park as it was completely socked in with rain and fog. I found out once we were there that June is typically rainy. I don't want to repeat that mistake again!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
This site might help:

http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/swi...e/climate.html

We've visited Switzerland in late May and early June a few times. We found the weather fairly cool, which is perfect hiking weather for us. Yes, we found plenty of snow on the hiking trails at higher elevations. Where there wasn't snow, there was mud, but that never seems to deter us much.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else with weather experience in June? Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:55 AM

the weather in this area is very variable - if the sun is out go for the mountain top or hike - supposed to thunder storm once a day on average in Alps - but average statistics are open average - be prepared for anything but really hot weather. I seen days when rain set in for days and then clear for days in summer. That said i think June is one of the better months in what is one of Europe's rainiest climates. Southern winds blowing Sahara air meet northern winds bringing Arctic air. Not what you're looking for but average here means little in my experience. One Sep 10th i was there and there was snow and freezing cold in Grindelwald and Murren - way below normal. One August (03 heat wave) it was 96 degrees at 10pm in Interlaken and was above 90 for days. Was 86 degrees at Jungfraujoch one day when normal is around freezing.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I was there in late May of this year and the weather was perfect. Crystal blue skies and mid-70s.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:08 PM

We were there end of June last year for 4 days and only one of the days we had rain but the rest were good, temperature was in the 70's unless at high altitudes. We woke up one day with clear blue sky and so we went to the top of Jufuguan and had a great time. There were couple of days with nice weather but quite a few clouds so we couldn't see the peaks very clear but for hiking, those would be perfect days.