Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wearing jeans in Swiss Mountains, yes/no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Marcie

I've been reading that many on this board don't think jeans are that great to travel with in Europe. I'm a small,petite, 50 year old who lives in jeans most of the time.(nice jeans, not necessarily designer, but nice) Of course I also have nice cotton and linen slacks but can't picture myself walking around the mountain regions in these....especially after hearing it will be quite chilly. Would love to hear from others as to what they wear when staying in the mountain regions of Switzerland. (I'm not a hiker type and will not be wearing hiking boots, just comfortable walking shoes). Thanks, Marcie

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Florence

Bonjour Marcie,<BR><BR>I live in Switzerland, I'm not American, neither are my parents: you'll be shocked to learn that (gasp !) we do wear jeans, even in the city ... ;-)<BR><BR>Welcome to Switzerland, may you have a great and confortable trip.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 09:55 PM
sam

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WEAR JEANS IN SWITZERLAND OR ANYWHERE IN EUROPE!!!! Europeans take jeans wearing as a sign of hostility and may walk right up and punch you in the face. It depends upon the nature of the person, both offending and being offended. Since you're a petite female you might get away with a simple smack rather than a punch, but don't count on it.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Deb

These posts drive me crazy-of course europeans wear jeans. Would you wear jeans in the Rockies? then wear jeans in Switzerland.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:02 AM
dan woodlief

A lot of the locals I encountered when in these parts of Switzerland were dressed quite casually. In fact, I saw shorts on some, not just hikers.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:04 AM
dan woodlief

A lot of the locals I encountered when in these parts of Switzerland were dressed quite casually. In fact, I saw shorts on some, not just hikers.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Frank

Where has SAM been. Jeans are an acceptable item all over Europe. Would hesitate to advise wearing them if you are going hiking because they soak up the water if it rains and will be uncomfortable to wear. Because they hold the water they could cause you to chill down. <BR>Otherwise feel free to dress in jeans everywhere.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Marcie

Thanks guys. I do feel much better now. Apparently lots of the threads on Fodors regarding " no jeans" pertain to the large chic cities within Europe.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:48 PM
amy

Marcie:<BR><BR>In Switzerland in the mountains, you can be "sportive." Basically, anything goes--hiking boots, weird tennies, knickers, you name it.<BR><BR>If you really want to blend in, carry climbing ropes casually over your shoulder.<BR><BR>Grandmothers in pink jogging suits, however, are still noticed by the locals.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Jean

Since we are getting into a discussion on fashion, as a general rule of thumb for basic fashion anywhere, the following DENIM items should be avoided:<BR><BR>-colored denim <BR>-skorts/jean shorts <BR>-loose fitting cargo-type jeans <BR>-denim style blouses/button-shirts<BR><BR>On the other hand, the following DENIM items are highly recommended:<BR><BR>-fitted jeans (with flare and boot cut)<BR>-fitted denim jackets<BR>-jean microminis<BR><BR>Plenty of people wear denim in Europe...they just wear denim differently than many Americans.<BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:30 PM
MM

Pretty much anything goes when you are in the mountainous regions of Switzerland. My husband and I were there last summer and we saw people wearing just about anything (jeans, nylon pants, sneakers, shorts, fleece, etc.). We even saw a 60ish woman on a hike who decided to take her shirt off and sport around in just her bra!! No one cares, JUST HAVE FUN!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:55 PM
kam

I stay away from denim in cold weather because it doesn't breathe well -- feels especially bad when you get damp/wet. Check out a good pair of nylon walking pants that you have the option of layering with a pair of silk tights; comfortable and not bad-looking either. Snow Angel and Wild Rose make some great outdoor apparel that is specifically designed for women.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Lee

to Jean Blah: Colored denim is to be avoided? Indigo is the dye most commonly used, but what "color" is "uncolored" denim?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:25 AM
brownie

Living in Europe (Switz.) - I notice that people are rather expressive in the way they dress. Like anywhere else in the world - there is more than one type of swiss or one type of european! <BR><BR>Yes, there are those grandmothers who stare disapprovingly at all young women in tank tops or homeboy types with their pants around their hips - but I wouldn't say that is a typical swiss/european thought. <BR><BR>So wear what you want - so long it's comfortable. I don't really see much issues with jeans - denim or not!

Old May 4th, 2002, 02:24 PM
L

Marcie,<BR>There was a time when women got dressed up in Switzerland just to do their grocery shopping. But no more. My 30+ trips to this wonderful country have confirmed this. Now even the people working in the shops wear jeans!<BR><BR>As far as walking in the mountains really anything goes. whatever you are comfortable in will be fine. I can't speak to jeans because I don't wear them. I generally wear cotton pants. for my hiking trip in early June I'll be taking one average weight cotton, one heavier cotton twill and one cotton with zip offs below the knee in case it gets warm. And if the weather forecast is for really cold weather I will take my warm up suit. No, it's not hot pink but it is colorful. I've worn it many time in the mountains and it's been accepted by one and all. Just a reminder that your hiking (or walking as the case may be) pants may get muddy and dirty from the terrain. So have something else to put on at night. If you are staying in the mountains, unless you are at a 5 star hotel, you need not get dressed up at night.<BR><BR>Have a super trip.

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Bob Brown

I guess I will have to weigh in on the side that says "I do NOT wear jeans in Switzerland." My choice has nothing to do with fashion! I consider myself a veteran hiker and I find jeans to be the worst thing you can wear on a mountain trail. Why? They are heavy, absorb way too much moisture, and insulate poorly. Moreover, they do not resist abrasion on rough rocks, and they become uncomfortable whether it be hot or cold, particularly if they shrink a little from getting wet and start to chafe!! <BR>My preferred hiking trousers are made of a quick drying nylon blend that resists abrasion from the rocks. <BR><BR> If all you are going to do is parade the streets of a Swiss alpine village, then it does not matter what you wear, as long as it will not get you arrested. But if you are going to do any real hiking, then get something else. <BR><BR>Also, unless you intend to wear the jeans when they are dirty, they take forever to dry.<BR>