no shorts in italy, really?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw some postings about not wearing shorts in italy, is that true and why?
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:59 PM

Most people, past the age of thirty quite simply do not have the legs that should be on show to the general public. It is very much a case of indecent exposure. If you're under thirty, and have attractive legs, then by all means wear shorts, if not, forget it!
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Many Germans and Scandinavians, and I presume many other nationalities, will be wearing shorts, for sure.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 43 and have inherited my Mom's good legs. I live in Switzerland and wear shorts in the summer. However, I'm one of the few that do. Does that bother me? Heck no.

If you are still hesitant, skirts are very popular this year.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Of course people wear shorts in Italy, particularly longer style, tailored shorts. It is simply too hot a lot of the time to wear long pants. Your legs do not just pack in after 30. Us aussies would be lost without our shorts.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Some of those posting you saw were from the same people who keep trying to convince everyone that Europeans don't wear anything denim, that all "tourists" in Europe are obviously Americans, and that if you don't spend a week in Paris even though you really want to go to Austria, you are some sort of moron....figure it out.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:28 AM

The only official reason to not wear shorts is if you're planning on visiting churches (bare knees are a strict no-no).

The unofficial reason is that, beyond the beach, the vast majority of italians don't wear shorts, certainly not in towns and cities. If dressing like a local is of vast concern to you, then don't wear them. But, really, are you ever going to look like a local, shorts or not?

Shorts might be a bit inappropriate for evening meals in restaurants, but really, no one's going to call the fashion Police. Honestly, you can wear what you want.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:29 AM
SHADRACH

That was so funny Intrepid1... and so true.

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:40 AM

I have great legs !! I wear shorts where appropriate and trousers when not. (psst don't tell anyone but I also wear jeans....eeeek faux pas!)
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Why should that be?

And why should anyone follow what the fashion gurus think you should wear or not?

I wear shorts in summer, so do many other folk around here. (But we don't wear the cut off long pants that young men seem to think are shorts nowadays!)
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:47 AM
ira

Hi P,

>...not wearing shorts in italy, is that true and why?<

It is absolutely true. (Disregard what everyone else says.)

Everyone in Italy, from infants to geriatrics, wears black from head to toe at all times.

Here is a link to a typical Italian village.
http://www.van-waveren.nl/pix/blog/istanbul-burka.jpg

Old May 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM

I would recommend long pants for evening--which includes dinner, unless you are going to McDonalds, and if that is the case, "shame on you."
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Simply not true!

How silly!!! Who cares!? We have been in Italy for the past two weeks and lots of people are in shorts (good legs or not).

I dont understand why this is even an issue or a question. Wear whatever you like, especially when in Italy. Italians are the most easy going and friendly people. Just be comfortable1!!!!

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Shorts accepted, but not in church. St.Peters in Rome will absolutely not admit anyone with shortshorts (longshorts to the knee acceptable) and no naked shoulders ! A light shawl to cover shoulders will do.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Author: m_kingdom2
Date: 05/10/2006, 03:59 am

Most people, past the age of thirty quite simply do not have the legs that should be on show to the general public
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never heard such rot in all my life!
Wear whatever you want, life is too short to worry about what anyone thinks of you!

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:18 AM

As others have said, if you're going in churches, no shorts. Otherwise, even if it isn't the typically Italian thing to do, it's not like you're going to be able to hide the fact that you're a tourist, so wear what makes you comfortable. And seeing as it was 80 degrees in Rome when I was there in late March, I'd say shorts would be comfortable (or very light, say linen or some synthetics, pants).
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Did my husband start this thread? I keep telling him no shorts and he won't believe me. I LOVE to go into churches, and I don't think we have a single day planned where we won't be going into at least one church. My SON can bring some shorts, because he is 15 and all of his shorts are below the knee.

Funny...DH checked out a few Italy travel videos from the public library. One was a Rick Steves video from about 1984. The male tourist were all wearing embarrassingly short shorts. (Rick didn't say a word about them not being admitted into churches, either.)
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM

My experience is, if you're a mature person, you'll stand out most places unless it's REALLY hot - which, the way this year is going, it will never be this summer.

Whether you care about standing out is purely up to you!

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Hey, if you want to wear long pants when it's 90 degrees, knock yourself out.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Here is a picture of me, with my lovely family, in the heart of Rome...wearing shorts!

http://image08.webshots.com/8/2/27/2...8IIhjqj_fs.jpg

For the record, the stranger who took the shot was wearing shorts too. Neither one of us was arrested by the fashion police.

It's no big deal...just don't try to get into St. Peter's that way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -