Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Waterloo Station to Brixton--approx. cab fare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to go to Brixton to pick up a rather expensive, bulky and heavy piece of equipment for business. What would be the rough mid-morning cab fare between Waterloo station and Brixton? And assuming I don't get stabbed or shot the second I step out of the cab, any idea of the rough taxi fare from there to Middlesex Hospital on Mortimer Street (W1N)?
I have already asked my suburbanite/London commuter neighbours for their guesstimates, but they're all so horrified that I'm going to that part of town, they won't even contemplate what the fare might be.
(No mass transit alternatives, please, see the "expensive, bulky and heavy" description above.)
Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Hmmmm…..Gullible foreigner is inveigled into a scheme to go to Brixton to pick up an “expensive bag”…..Sounds like an episode of the Bill.

Going there, without the “consignment” – use the tube – Northern Line to Stockwell, Victoria line to Brixton.

A cab from Brixton to Mortimer Market would be around £10-15. A mini cab would be a bit less, but you’d need to book.

Also Brixton isn’t as bad as its reputation would have you believe. It’s not that great either, but you’re reasonable safe unless you go on the estates to pick up the “merchandise”.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

David, LOL, it's a piece of professional quality recording equipment needed for work. I guess I'll have to pass on the excitement of a furtive pickup of dubious merchandise in a dangerous neighborhood ;-) Nonetheless, my neighbours think I'm taking a risk heading into "that" part of town.
Anyway, thanks for the info!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM

There is no risk going to Brixton in normal hours as long as you stick to the main roads, statistics prove that more people are killed per head of population in rural area than in towns.

Be sensible do not flash load of money or Jewellery, be aware of pick pockets.

Brixton is a upwardly mobile area, are your neighbours frightened of shadows, have they ever been there.

I am certain you can have your equipment delivered by courir if you are a mouse rather than a man.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:33 AM

You could always ask the person you're picking it up from to recommend a cab firm, and/or to organise one to call when you do.

It really isn't "badlands", you know.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Well, when you get <b>back</b> from &quot;that part of town&quot; be sure and post a trip report so that all the naysayers will realize there are still some adventurous travelers out here.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

All's well that ends well. No problem getting to Brixton by Tube. People at the equipment hire business were lovely and charged me less than originally quoted. I did use car services to go to and from one hospital in central London and a Tube/minicab to get to another way out beyond Harrow-on-the-Hill.
Strong police on the beat presence in Brixton...from the tube to the equipment hire shop saw about 10 police walking the street. The most interesting thing was the parade of building/DIY shops along the way--tool hire, timber etc. Must be where all the London IDY property renovators are hanging out. I wish I'd had my camera for one timber store...spent a few minutes watching a guy stuff a dozen 15 to 20 foot planks into a tiny sedan via the sunroof, tied together with one piece of twine. How he planned to get wherever he was going with that load is still a mystery.
(oh and regular cab fare from Waterloo to Brixton was &pound;13, bang on David's estimate.)