Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you know Barkinside, Ilford near London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far is this town from the center of London? Is it easy/difficult to get there from Heathrow with luggage?

Thinking of visiting friends there for a few nights after a 2 week trip to Spain. We could take advantage of BA stopping there on the way back to New York.Concerned if that may be too much for two seniors to do after the two weeks in Spain.

Would it be easy enough to spend the day in London & take the tube back to Barkinside? How about if we wanted to see a show at night, is this too late to use the tube coming back?

Thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can answer this question, having lived in Hainault for 4 years and having many friends who lived in Barkingside (you forgot to add the "g&quot. From the center, by tube (Central line), it's about 45 minutes.

From Heathrow, you would have to change trains from the Piccadilly Line at Holborn with your luggage. I'm trying to remember what the change is there -- meaning whether you have to take stairs to get to the Central line or just the escalator (which would be okay if you have wheels or the suitcase is light). I can't remember.

Do your friends have a car? They could pick you up outside the Barkingside tube station. I ask this because Barkingside itself is not a one street town and I don't know how far they are from the station.

That's the luggage part, but many seniors who live in Barkingside and travel do exactly that, or hire a mini cab from the airport.

As for spending the day in London, yes, very easy, and shows let out well before midnight, so catching the tube back is not a problem either. Did that many times myself, alone, never concerned (although once in a great while, some rowdy kids get off at Wanstead, but they're just being kids). Late shopping night is Thursday, so if you are worried about being in the tube when it's very quiet (always a luxury!), take in a Thursday night show when there's lots of people riding the tube late, or Friday or Sat. night when people stay up London late.

You'll like Barkingside -- some nice little pubs off the High street. We used to go into Checkers a lot, but it was more convenience than anything else.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Surfergirl for your reply. Yes, I did forget the 'g.'

What do you mean by a 'mini cab'? Is this a transfere service van that I would have to make reservations for ahead of time? Is Barkingside a distance from the airport & do you know approximately how much this mini cab would be? Do I get a mini cab right at the curb? Is a mini cab a taxi?

We were in Barkingside many years ago but under different circumstances. What I do remember is that we were able to walk from the tube station to our friend's house. However, not sure I want to fly, take two tube rides & walk all in one day with the luggage at this point in our lives. Don't want to ask them all these questions as I don't want to put them to any bother.
Yes, I rememeber, it was a very, lovely town.

Many thanks again.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM

Surfergirl has given you the info about Barkingside . . . but about a "mini cab":

Mini cabs are basically car services. They cannot pick up fares on the curb or at the airport. There is usually nothing "mini" about the cars - often they use estate cars, mini vans or full sized sedans. But you do have to book them ahead of time. Either one of the car services often mentioned here - or ask your friends to recommend one to you. Many Londoners use mini cabs from time to time and will often have a favorite local one.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Janis is right. For example, we were last in Essex last summer, but staying in Brentwood, which is much further out than Barkingside. We hired a mini cab from ABC in Brentwood and it cost us 40 quid from there to Heathrow. Ask your friends for their local minicab service and the phone no. These local companies factor in how many miles it will take them to get BOTH ways, since they are coming from the local point (in your case, Barkingside) to the airport and back. The price is a lot cheaper than the hired cars that have been touted on this board, and I know that for sure, because I called one of them and the cost was 95 quid from the airport to Brentwood. And yes, they are NOT mini -- the one we had was an estate car with plenty of room.