Water water everywhere!

Jan 4th, 2003, 12:21 PM
drink

Water water everywhere!

This is an interesting article http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,867554,00.html

It tends to confirm what I've always thought that this "you must drink at least two litres of water a day" thing is nonsense. Perhaps if the idea takes hold we'll be spared the sight of tourists constantly attached to their water bottles like lampreys.

Jan 4th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Gem

But don't you think that one's water needs vary so much depending on one's particular body? I drink at least 2 liters of water a day (living in the UK) and feel very uncomfortable if I am unable to do so. I also drink a couple of cups of tea and coffee per day. My mother, however, rarely drinks any water at all, has a glass of wine only on Sundays and otherwise only small cups of tea. We are both healthy and feel comfortable with our fluid intake.
There was a point when I wondered if I was experiencing the onset of diabetes due to my fluid intake, but I've had the tests and I'm fine. So I think it is very much down to whether you feel that you need to drink a lot of water.

Jan 4th, 2003, 12:45 PM
sylvia

>So I think it is very much down to >whether you feel that you need to >drink a lot of water

That's a very fair point. It makes sense to drink when you feel thirsty and after all humans have been doing that for thousands of years. However there's been a lot of talk about it's being essential to have those eight glasses whether you feel thirsty or not. I've even heard people saying that you can be dehydrated without feeling thirsty. As for the water bottles, I went to a school where we were taught that eating and drinking in the street was only done by guttersnipes. I am an old lady now but if I so much as eat a sweet in the street I can feel Miss X's beady eye on me!

Jan 4th, 2003, 12:59 PM
mpprh

hi

this is a question of temp and humidity..

In Death Valley (Humidity = 5%), the advice is to drink 1 litre per hour, and start 1hr before going outside because the body can't keep up with the evaporation.

Its good advice, and drinking 1 litre per hour you don't need to go to the toilet.

Here (Humidity 15 - 30 %) we drink about 4 litres per day.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Jan 4th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Alan

Has this something to do with travel or am I just missing the point?

As a health item, this was discussed in the medical journals months ago.

Jan 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Capo

Lampreys...*LOL*, good image!

Thanks for the link; that was interesting.

Jan 4th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Marilyn

I drink when I'm thirsty, but if I drank 8 glasses of water daily I'd spend half my life in the bathroom. (I'm already going for the title of World's Smallest Bladder.) No, there's nothing wrong with me, confirmed by my doctor and my OB/GYN.

I have taken flak from so many people for years now about "not drinking enough water". I can't tell you how satisfying it was to have my common sense validated by the latest scientific study!

Jan 4th, 2003, 02:38 PM

Wait until you have your first kidney stone - you'll drink like a fish after that painful experience.

What's with the first poster - if people with water bottles upset him, then he must spend his whole life poting about something or another somebody did or said.

Jan 4th, 2003, 05:53 PM
uhoh

He/she's obviously never visited New Orleans or Houston in September or Rome in June.

Search this Thread