Water taxi fare from train station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me the approximate water taxi fare from the train station to San Marco (destination: Hotel Ala)?<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR>Lulu
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:01 AM

Lulu,<BR><BR>There's really no reason to take a water taxi which is expensive (probably about 40 euros). The vaparettos, which are public water buses, all make this trip for about 3 euros/person. If you'll be in Venice for a few days you should buy a 3 day vaparetto pass (about 9 euros as I recall) which will allow you unlimited use of the vaparettos for 72 hours. There's also a 7 day pass.<BR><BR>Most people only use the water taxis for going to/from the airport (about 80-100 euros)if they've got a lot of luggage, are leaving very early in the morning and/or are staying somewhere not near a public transport stop.<BR><BR>I believe the Ala is very near the vaparetto stop which is called San Zaccaria. You will be traveling to your left on the Grand canal as you leave the train station stop (vaparettos go in both directions).<BR><BR>Hope this helps.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Hotel Ala is at the Santa Maria del Giglio stop, a very short walk directly off the vaporetto to the hotel (down a passageway that's being redone at the moment, so you walk through scaffolding). Ala does have a water taxi landing at the back of the hotel, but anybody's who bothering to ask the fare would be well-served to use the vaporetto. Take the #1 vaporetto, as it's the only one that stops at Santa Maria del Giglio (it somes frequently).
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful info. I had learned about the vaparettos and their low cost, but was just interested in knowing the water taxi fare for this route. There'll be 4 ladies (mom included) with luggage, and I thought the ride would be a lovely experience as their 1st impression of Venice. Do you have any idea what that fare would be? --Once again, thank you--
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Ah, McLaurie. I just re-read your post. About 40Euro, then. Okay. I think for 10Euro each, it'd be worth it, just to all relax and enjoy the ride privately. I know when I was there last yr and we took a water taxi from the airport to hotel Europa Regina, it was a Really Nice ride and a Wonderful 1st-time memory for me. <BR><BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:41 PM
mjs

Dear Lulu: I have never taken a water taxi from the train station to my hotel.<BR>I have however taken water taxi's to and from the airport. They are expensive and I would guess that the cost of a taxi for four people with luggage would be about $50 (40 to 60 range). A vap for four of you will probably be around $10.<BR>A better option would be to buy a day(s) pass so you are not charged for luggage which probably will make it even cheaper.<BR>Unless you do not like crowds (depending on when you will be arriving, a Vap is almost as quick as a Taxi and much less expensive. Only if you had a ton of luggage would I consider a taxi for this route. Venice is an expensive city so I guess what we are all saying is that if you are considering cost as an issue (after all you are not staying at the Danieli etc) you are better off taking the cheaper route which is 90% as good as a taxi. Save the money for a gondola ride which will run you at least $80. Have a good trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Have taken both water taxi and vaporettos. The difference is like the difference between a city bus and a private limo. Vaporetto is very inexpensive but you have to jostle your way on, struggle with luggage, and likely stand in the crowd as the vaporetto makes numerous stops before arriving at a stop that you hope is not too far from your hotel. Water taxi takes you point to point in very luxuriously appointed speedboats. We took the water taxi from Westin Europa and Regina to the train station when we left because it was raining and we didn't want to deal with the crowds. Price was about $50 (in Sept 2001). It is a bit of an extravagence but an enjoyable one.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Lulu,<BR><BR>Now that you say it's 4 women (including Mother) the extravagance of a water taxi may make sense. I would email the Ala &amp; ask them what the cost should be. Then make sure to negotiate the price before getting into the water taxi! Have a great trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, McLaurie, I'd like to go the water taxi route *this trip. <BR><BR>Funny thing about Hotel Ala, tho. I've emailed them so many times and they've NEVER responded to any of my emails. Only emails I've ever gotten from them were confirming our reservations months ago. Hate to have to call, but looks like only alternative. I had requested their assistance in making dinner reservations for us, but ... ?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Lulu,<BR>My mother &amp; I just returned from Venice last week. Out hotel was located just one block away from the Hotel Ala, and the water taxi fare from the train station was 55 euros. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:44 PM

If the Ala has a fax, I would send copies of your email via fax as well, noting that it is a copy of an email also sent. I've always received prompt responses to faxes. Just a thought...
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Oklatraveler: That's what I needed. Thank you so much! Wondering, do we just grab an available water taxi or - like other &quot;cities&quot; - prebook? <BR><BR>Ellenem: I'll try faxing (+ refer to previous email). Thank you too!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Lulu,<BR>No need to pre-book. There is a water taxi stand located just outside the station. I would suggest having someone from your party finding a taxi driver to help carry your luggage to the boat, we had to struggle carrying ours down the stairs.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Do you know if it can be prearranged thru email?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:23 AM

No pre-arrangement necessary. There's a taxi stand right there at the train station, right at the foot of the exit stairs with a big sign indicating its presence. <BR><BR>Pre-arranging this taxi would be the equivalent of pre-arranging a taxi to take you from the airport in Atlanta to a downtown hotel. They are hanging out there, waiting for you to show up and give them money.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:47 AM

For this trip..I agree take the water taxi. While the vaporetto might be cheaper..it is also often crowded and negotiating one's way onto the boat with luggage can be a true challenge. I'd say take the water taxi, negotiate the fare before getting on and once you have a better sense of how the vaporetto works(which you will after a few days in Venice) think about it as an option back to the train station. If you leave from the airport you willhave a whole other option which is far easier than the vaporetto. Enjoy..oh to experience that moment I walked out of the train station and saw Venice for the first time! Rent Summertime(1955) with Katherine Hepburn..it has many great shots of Venice.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Mille grazie! (about the extent of my Italian....oh, nooooooooooooooooooooo)