Reload this Page >

Water lillies in Giverny

Search

Water lillies in Giverny

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Sonnie

Water lillies in Giverny

Anyone knows from your personal experience when would be the best time to see them in full bloom? <BR>We are in a process of planning our trips for 2003

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:03 PM
kam

I think it's a summer flower, but there must be a mention on the website. We were there in late September---not a water lily in sight and pouring rain, but still interesting.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Mara

According to the website, www.giverny.org, the waterlilies are in July and August. They were not there two weeks ago today when I was there but everything else was beautiful and bright!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Sonnie

Anyone knows about it from your personal experience?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:13 AM
s.fowler

I think you're getting the info by process of elimination *lol*<BR><BR>In mid-June -- very early July I only saw one. Another reason to go in later July or August is that the wisteria on the Japanese bridge will be out.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Sonnie

Thank you s.fowler for the most useful information

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Giovanna

We visited in May several years ago and both the wisteria on the bridge and a few lilies were in bloom. The gardens were lovely as well.<BR><BR>It rained the day we were there, in spite of which we enjoyed our visit very much. The house is wonderful, even if the gardens, etc. aren't in full bloom.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:33 AM
elaine

I agree with most of the above, I saw an early water lily or two in June, but many more in late July. Wisteria usually blooms in May or early June, occasionally lucky growers will get a second smaller blooming later in the summer, but it's not always a sure thing.<BR><BR>Sonnie, in high season the fondation Monet can be very crowded. My advice is to get there as soon as they open in the morning, before the tour buses arrive. Skip the house for the moment and head straight for the gardens and the Bassin aux Nympheas, the w. lily pond. You will see it in relative peace. You may even see an artist or two painting there. You can work your way back through the gardens and into the house, studio, and gift shop. The house is charming, but it is small and gets very crowded, but for me there's little point in going if the gardens aren't in bloom.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Beth

Last week of July 2001 the pond was full of lillies, as well as the garden being in full bloom.