Reload this Page >

Warwick/Stratford-Upon-Avon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Richard

Will be in London 2.5 days. Am planning to do the theater the first night, then have two more full days. Thought we'd do the hop on/off bus and London sites the first day, and then am considering a day trip/tour to Warwick/Stratford--Question--I'd like opinions on this trip to Warwick/Stratford vs. spending another day in London or taking a different day trip???

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Brianna

Warwick Castle, definately. I am dragging my fiancee there, as he has never been to UK and I know he will LOVE it. It is a huge castle and you can walk around all over, and to the dungeon, etc., plus I believe they are still having a Madame Tussauds exhibit there. Stratford was great too - definately a must-see (WS) if you're in the area, it is also a very cute town with lots of shopping, etc. and gets quite crowded on weekends. Go see a play if you have the time at RSC, fabulous!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM
bettyk

Richard, have you been to London before? If not, I hardly think you can do it justice in 2 days. If you wish to do a quick trip out of town, then Windsor Castle, Kew Gardens or Hampton Court are much closer and worth a visit. You could do one of these in the morning and still have ample time in the afternoon and evening for other sights or perhaps a pub tour or "Jack the Ripper" walking tour.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Monica Richards

I agree, spend the time in London. I thought Stratford-Upon-Avon, while cute, was way too much of a tourist trap. And it's a pretty far ways from London too. If I hadn't been meeting a friend who lives in Manchester, I never would have made the trip.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:36 PM
janis

I absolutely LOVE Warwick - but with only 2 1/2 days in London I would never recommend you try a day trip (even if just to Windsor). The first London day will be pretty nmuch lost to jet lag. The Hop-on-hop-off bus may be all you can manage. <BR><BR>I try to go to the theatre every night in London and twice some days squeezing in a matinee. But the first night is a no go due to needing to get to bed by 9 or 10PM to get over the jet lag. Once I had 3rd row tix for Maggie Smith in the Lady in the Van (a wonderous actress in a wonderous play) on my 1st night in London. HUGE mistake - even tho' the play was fantastic it was almost impossible to stay awake.<BR><BR>So you will really only have about a day and a half real sightseeing time in London - don't try to squeeze in a day trip. Save Warwick/Stratford for another trip.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Karen

I agree that you should just do London. You cannot do it justice in two days. As much as the desire may be to see a little more of the country, you would definitely not run out of things to see in London. More than that, you will be rushed to fit even a portion in. Stratford, while obviously a point of interest for the WS connection, is overflowing with tourists, and was, even for this English teacher, a dissappointment.<BR><BR>Save the day trips for when you can goback for a longer period of time.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:02 AM
AnnaC

Despite being biased - I was born and brought up about half way between Stratford and Warwick - I would say stick with London if you haven't been there before. You have such a short time, you will not want to waste as much time travelling as you will have to to go to either Stratford or Warwick.<BR><BR>There is so much to see in London. If you want to see castle/old buildings, try Windsor or Hampton Court - both much closer to London and both well worth a visit.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Joanne

Richard, 2.5 days in London is hardly anything! Heck, 2.5 WEEKS wouldn't be enough. And yet, if you expect that you might never be back, I can understand your wish to see the English countryside. <BR><BR>Warwick is more of an experiential castle, you can clamber around the turrets and picnic on the grounds, whereas the other castles like Windsor and Hampton are more museum-y; it depends on what you want! On summer weekends it is very special, they have a fair with events, knights in armor on horseback, and demonstrations of ancient arts like archery. The Mme. Tussaud's exhibit section is permanent, as that company now runs the place. Personally, I felt more in touch with "Old England" there, talking to individuals dedicated to preserving old crafts like blacksmithing, than I did looking at preserved rooms and cases of relics.<BR><BR>Stratford-upon-Avon certainly does have its share of junky gift shops and fast-food restaurants that have grown up around all the Shakespeare-related tourism. It's a living town, not a museum. But nobody is going to force you to patronize these places; visiting one or two of the Shakespeare-related properties on your way to Warwick would certainly enhance your trip!<BR><BR>If you decide to stay in London, you can get a very fine Shakespeare fix at the re-created Globe theater.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:16 AM
linda

Richard, Are you arriving in London from the states or from another European city? Also as another poster asked, is this your first trip to London? Although my father saw Warwick Castle for the first time last week and loved it, I agree that Hampton Court Palace and Windsor are wiser choices for 2.5 days. I do think that they are worthy, even for a short stay. If you are looking for something out of the city they are wonderful sights that provide more flexibility. Have fun.<BR><BR>linda