Reload this Page >

Mushroom tart recipe

Search

Mushroom tart recipe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
CCD

Mushroom tart recipe

I hope this posting won't incite a riot...<BR><BR>A few months ago, someone kindly posted a recipe for a mushroom tart or similar mushroom dish that was discovered on a trip to France. I did not write the recipe down at the time and am now looking for it, but could not find it by doing a word search. Does anyone have the recipe? <BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Rex

This sounds like a job for a general internet search, rather than a search of this forum. A search on Yahoo for "mushroom tart" yields 13800 hits (I realize that they might start getting off track after the first 100 or so). A search on Yahoo.fr for "tarte aux champignons" might be more on target for what you experienced in France, but it too has thousands of hits (3780, to be exact).<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;a mushroom tart or similar mushroom dish&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>And the real question is "what DID you actually eat?" Classic "tarte a l'oignon" (from Alsace) is closer to what Americans call a quiche than anything. One of the recipes for tarte aux champignons simply says "prepare a [thick Bechamel] of milk and cream" without giving any instructions. The recipe contains no egg or cheese.<BR><BR>And all this ignores the question of what KIND of mushrooms are used. We use the term so generically here in the US. We say "bean soup" but we know that we don't mean green, pinto, black, kidney or lima. What you remember as muschrooms may not have been "champignons" (i.e., button mushrooms) - - were they cepes, morilles, girolles? - - I'm just scratching the surface here. A little bit like words for "snow" in Inuit and related languages!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:03 AM
Betty

I have searched my several French cookbooks and could not find a recipe for "Tarte aux champignons." I did, however, find this recipe on foodtv.com. It is one of Emeril's. I don't know if it's anything like the one you saw but it sure sounds good!<BR><BR>http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,9656,00.html

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:21 AM
jahoulih

As I recall the recipe that was posted here, it wasn't a tart. I think it was somewhat similar to this recipe:<BR><BR>http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=102613

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:15 PM
PB

I'm not sure if I posted this recipe on this board before, but here's my favorite version.<BR> <BR>28 grams = 1 oz<BR> Tatin aux Cpes<BR><BR>250 gr. puff pastry<BR>800 grams cpes or assorted mushrooms<BR>2 large shallots<BR>ground walnuts (I used about 1/3 cup)<BR>walnut oil<BR>butter<BR>egg yolk<BR>3 cloves garlic <BR>chopped parsley <BR>salt<BR><BR>Preheat oven to 375 F.<BR><BR>Slice the shallots and mushrooms. Saute until golden in a couple tablespoons of butter.<BR>Drain any liquid, salt them and arrange in a buttered tart dish (not metal).<BR><BR>Finely chop the parsley and garlic together and sprinkle over the mushrooms. Also sprinkle the ground walnuts over the top. <BR><BR>Lay the puff pastry over the top, tucking it under around the edges. Brush with beaten egg yolk and put in the oven for about 40 minutes - or until the pastry is<BR>golden. Run a knife around the edges to loosen any stuck pastry - unmold onto a serving plate. Serve warm with walnut oil drizzled over the top.<BR><BR>A variation is to add some crumbled goat cheese to the top before putting on the puff pastry.<BR><BR>PB<BR><BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Christina

Somebody posted a recipe for mushrooms on here not too long ago (person by sn of cdg), which they got in Paris, but I don't think it was a tarte. So maybe it's not the one you are thinking of. Not sure how well the search function is working nowadays, but try a search on the word "champignons"

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Christina

Somebody posted a recipe for mushrooms on here not too long ago (person by sn of cdf), which they got in Paris, but I don't think it was a tarte. So maybe it's not the one you are thinking of. Not sure how well the search function is working nowadays, but try a search on the word "champignons"

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Wendy

The recipe I believe was for a mushroom side dish that the poster had in a Paris restaurant. I printed out the recipe but don't have the URL to find the post. I do remember that it was part of a different thread.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:43 AM
CCD

Thanks for all the responses, recipes and ideas.