WARNING: photographing Lisbon buskers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The purpose of this message is not to scare but to inform. Take from it what you will..

I was in Rossio square with my wife as night approached. A talented young lady had flaming batons and was twirling them all around. Naturally i had my camera out and began to snap some photos. I should have kept it very brief because as it turned out her "pimp" came out from around the corner and wasn't happy. Not dangerous looking, just rough around the edges and looked like he hadn't slept in 2 days. He began yelling at me in Portuguese and tried to lead me back towards her, presumably to give her money. I tried to shrug him off with the "confused tourist" routine and he again tried to lead us back over there. We finally walked off and he had a mouthful for us as we did

I don't know what woulda happened if he laid a finger on me but i'm glad he didn't . maybe this is common sense.....maybe not? anyone else have something similar happen?
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
G_H

Lesson learned..
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM

I would not go so far to call it "etiquette" but I would at least guess that when I took pictures of street performers, living statues or similar that a "tip" is expected. Unless there is a big crowd so no one can really see who is doing what. The "enforcement" to tip by that pimp is not exactly the norm, though.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

that's what i thought afterward too.... i almost reached into my pocket for some spare change until i saw what a jerk he was becoming
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM

This is one of those "grey areas". If possible, I will usually ask permission to shoot, but there are times when the performer just gets in the shot because they are there. I'm not shooting them and in that event I owe them nothing.

I've had a few times where they wanted me to pay them, and at the same time I would tell them they needed to pay me so we were even.

dave
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Not with street performers but at a church in a small Portugese town I've had a similar experience. I was taking photos of blue-tiled walls. I asked permission to take the pictures but after a few shots a person started yelling at me angrily in Portugese. It became clear that he wanted us to give some money.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That would have been upsetting to me . . . But when taking photos of street performers one should usually leave a small tip at least. If they aren't worth stopping to watch or take pictures then move on and leave nothing. Otherwise, give them something. Just common sense IMO.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:47 AM

If you are spending enought time looking at a street performer to start taking picture a tip - a sizable one if there are a lot of photos is definitely in order. This is how these people making their living. Watching and not tipping is cheap. Taking alot of photos and not tipping is just ridiculous.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:49 AM

This is all true in many/most places in the world,,,, so I hope the readers don't get the wrong impression of Portugal. It is one of the safest, friendliest, honest,happiest places in Europe. We lived there for two years (many years ago), and I think tourists even today will find it a great place to visit.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM

I agree. If you take a photo tipping would be courteous.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM

mari5: "<i>so I hope the readers don't get the wrong impression of Portugal. </i>"

I don't think anyone will see this as a slam of Portugal. (more a warning to not be a cheap son of a gun )
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Portuguese people are very polite, very religious. However, there are many, many illegal aliens in Lisboa.

These people tend to come from Northern Africa or Portuguese-speaking countries like Mozambique or Angola. Some also come from Brazil.

My ex-husband, Rogerio, was born in Lisboa. We went to visit him once and were constantly harassed whenever we ate outside at a cafe by people trying to sell us cheap sunglasses or Hashish. They were not Portuguese. Most looked like they came from Algeria or Morocco.

It was very annoying.

Pepper
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM

If you want to take a photo, it's always a good idea to toss a bit of money in first, then take the shot.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM

I agree that if you're standing right in front of the performer and snap a picture that a tip would be in order. But what if you were a few feet further back and took a picture of the wider 'scene', still keeping the performer focal to your picture ? You'd likely not have to part with any coins even though it isn't that much different, is it ? Point being that a few additional feet distance and a zoom could avoid tipping as well as some unpleasantness..

I'd still tip. Thats how buskers earn their keep.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 10:30 AM

"<i>But what if you were a few feet further back and took a picture of the wider 'scene', still keeping the performer focal to your picture ? You'd likely not have to part with any coins even though it isn't that much different, is it </i>"

I disagree, if one is lingering in the crowd and taking photos, they should tip.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM

That is not to say being accosted/threatened because one didn't tip is right BTW. But tipping is in order IMO . . .
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

I was standing off to the side but there wasn't really anyone nearby. i agree that going forward if someone is interesting enough to photograph, a tip is a good idea. Now that i think about it... i did tip some talented musicians and buskers in Madrid.. the ones that either wowed me or made me die of laughter

BTW with the exception of this experience we absolutely loved our time in sunny Lisbon.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM

The whole point is you are photographing them because you think they are doing something you like and want to keep a photo of, so it is something of value to you. They are entertainers and they are working, you have to pay them. I guess you didn't know that they expected it up front. I would hope most don't try to rough people up, though, so I think that was not very nice, but one shouldn't steal from them, which is basically what one is doing if you take a photo without paying them, it's no different than not paying for entertainment you go to or artwork you buy. It sounds like you were pretty much at fault for thinking you didn't have to pay and you try to get out of it when he indicated what you should do. that wasn't very nice, and you yourself admit you were taking "a lot" of photos without paying and were not keeping it brief.

So I think you are mostly to blame, sorry
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM

That is probably the biggest nonsense I read in ages.

One can agree that it is appropriate to give buskers some money when you watch or take photos.
But you most certainly do not "steal" if you don't.
They are by no way entitled to any payment, and not getting paid is an inherent risk when you are a busker. Similar to having a donation box in a church.

The only person who stepped beyond the line of lawful behavior had been the "pimp" who harrassed and yelled at OP.
The (hypothetical) appropriate reaction would have been to call the police and inform them of this unlawful behavior so that busker and pimp got thrown out of the public place they used for their stunt. Obviously not something you are interested in as a tourist with no or little command of the local language.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 05:05 PM

I have to agree that it's ridiculous to say that not tipping a busker for watching their performance or taking a picture is 'stealing' from them. Contributions to street art or performance, no matter what, is voluntary, and both sides know that. Your decision to give or not is a personal one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -