Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Warning: Don't miss an Air France flight!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I missed our flight from Toulouse to Los Angeles on August 9th. We were told there was only one flight out in the next four days and we said we'd take it. The charge was 824 euros each, which translated to roughly $1087,00! Basically we had to buy another ticket for a trip we had already paid for....Our original round trip ticket had cost $1740.00......I felt they could have given us a little break! Is this always the way it works if you miss a flight??? Mary
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Ouch! Why did you miss the flight?

Usually this is within the airline's rights to do this, if you haven't bought a ticket with flexible conditions. Some airlines will attempt to be more accommodating, depending on circumstances, but you cannot count on it.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
This is very common with APEX fares on any airline. Yes, this is how it always works. Clearly you have learned your lesson.

I presume it was your fault that you missed the flight?
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM

That's the same on any airline, if you miss the flight, you lose the value of your ticket, why wouldn't you? Also, if you want to buy a ticket in the next couple of days, the fare will be higher than many advance tickets. I think you got off really easy on the ticket price for last-minute fares, actually.

Buying a ticket isn't like a deposit, that if you don't show up, so what, you get the money back plus any new ticket you want at the same price. Get real.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Christina.....do you work for Air France? You sound like the lady we worked with!

WillTravel...I read the very confusing Air France itinerary wrong.....and yes, Kerouac, it was my fault, but I felt they might choose to be a little more accommodating. No such luck.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Yes, this is the way it always works.

That's why airlines tell you to get to the airport 2 hours before the flight. Were you there then? If not, and you turned up late - yes, they will reticket you at full fare.

And I agree that the fare you got was quite reasonable for a walk-up fare.

This has nohting to do with Air France and everything to do with your ignoring the required check in time.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
J62

A tip I learned long ago. If you're going to miss your flight, call the airline BEFORE departure. At least that way you can get credit for the $ already paid. If you are a no-show, you forfeit your $.

Nobody here is saying it's nice - they're explaining how the system works for any airline.

There was a similar thread a few months ago about someone's niece or daughter who missed their AA flight from Japan, and the aunt/mother was livid, demanding the airline refund the cost of the new ticket. That turned into an interesting Fodors debate.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler....we were not ignoring the required check in time....I read the printed itinerary as a 2:30 departure from Toulouse. We got there at 1:00 for the flight to Paris which is more than they require for a local flight...HOWEVER, our flight was actually leaving at 1:00. I just misread it. It can happen!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM

You might be interested to read Easyjet's policy on missed flights (given it's a budget airline)

"No worries if you miss your flight We understand how frustrating it is to miss a flight. That’s why you can catch the next available flight for a flat charge of just £43 if you turn up at the airport within two hours of your original flight’s scheduled departure time."
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Mcmrjm, I am sorry to say that <b>I</b> work for an airline, and one of my jobs is refusing refunds to people who have not respected the conditions of the fare.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Sorry for your error, but as noted this is not something unique to AF, rather standard industry practice. If you are a frequent flier with an airline they may (but are not obliged to) cut you some slack.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM

>>Christina.....do you work for Air France? You sound like the lady we worked with!<<
mcmrjim, missed your flight but held onto your sense of humour! LOL

I have nightmares about your scenario! I check and recheck flight times before trips.
I've never missed a flight yet but I've come close to missing one because of unexpected heavy traffic compounded by bad weather.

Maybe you can console yourself with the fact that you're unlikely to make that mistake again..
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I just lost the power to give exemptions a few months ago. It is all outsourced to a company in India now, and if I disagree with the rules, I have to give a valid reason for it other than "I'm feeling like being nice today."
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, sassy_cat. I felt a bit of empathy coming through!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Well the airline doesn't know that you read 1 pm as 2:30 - so the plane took off with your seats empty. Why should they refund you the money for that? (If they had known perhaps they could have sld them to someone else.)

I'm also not clear about the 1 pm and the 2:30. did the flight leave Toulouse at 1 pm and you arrived later? What time was your flight from Paris to the US? Typically those flight don't leave in the evening. So - a 2:30 flight from Touloue woul land in Paris when? And your flight from paris to the US would depart when (allowing a couple of hours to change planes in Paris)?

Perhaps it's because I've flown so much - but I don't understand this happening. I can understand a huge accident closing a road or something - and delaying you a couple of hours - but not mistaking the time of a flight that needed connections. (I would have been checking the details for the connection before accepting the flight and seen the times then.)

Also, the minimum check in time is that - a minimum - I always gie myself extra just in case of traffic or something. If they say check in 2 hurs in advance I aim to arrive 3 hours before. If something happens to make me late I have the cusion. If not, I can go shoppingi in the airport and get rid of my loose change (which always seems to accumulate).
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I felt a bit of empathy coming through!</i>" Now the empathy ends again

Your <B>Warning: Don't miss an Air France flight! </B> title could/should have been about almost every airline. Wouldn't matter if you were on AF or United, or Virgin, or BA, or AA, or KLM or Delta, or Continental or just about anybody. Absolutely nothing unique to AF.

Only difference -- you probably paid LESS for your replacement tickets than on most of those other airlines.

So maybe a better title would have been <B>Warning: If you are going to miss a flight, do it w/ Air France or you'll spend a fortune!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

I think when I said I wanted to FLY their airline they thought I said I wanted to BUY the airline....now that I'm $5,650.86 poorer, I must own at least a teensy part of it.

....and nytraveler, you must be a former prosecutor, with all those questions!....but since you asked, I'll give you the details.....my itinerary read in big bold letters: 2:30 PM Toulouse, which was the time we were to arrive a month earlier from Paris. However, our flight from Paris was delayed 21/2 hours while we sat in the plane on the tarmac so we actually arrived at 5PM......Have you ever made a recipe and after you get 1/2 way into it, you realize you don't have all of the ingredients because you didn't read through the entire recipe? Well, that's what I did. I didn't read down far enough to see that our departure time was 1:00PM and I had 2:30 imprinted on my brain. Yes, I should have checked and rechecked and looked at the time on my ticket, which I did when were standing in line to check in....at five minutes to 1:00. OUCH! I almost had a coronary. A 1:00 flight would land in Paris at 2:30 and our flight from Paris to L.A was at 4:35 arriving at 7:05PM. I guess it's because you've flown so much that you don't understand how anyone could make such a stupid mistake....and you know what?....neither can I.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM

I'm so sorry. I know it's aggravating, even if you know it's your fault. We ran into a similar situation. We missed our flight from Rome to Brussels (where we had a flight that continued on to the US) because we (I'm embarrassed to admit this) were in Rome for three days and never realized that the time had changed. We were scheduled to arrive at the airport an hour and a half earlier (we had an early morning flight) but because the time changed to an hour earlier we didn't have time to check in and get to our flight before it took off. We were very fortunate because Alitalia took pity on us (and probably had a good laugh about it after we left) and got us on the next flight to Brussels, but we had to stay the night because there were no flights to Chicago until the next day.

We got very, very lucky. It was totally our fault and we could have been charged a very hefty amount for a brand new ticket. I think the key was that we got there before the plane had actually departed. In any event, I know where you are coming from. Mistakes happen. Lesson learned! I know I double check the flight times AND actual time!

Tracy
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM

The reason is that it was the last minute deal and the price of the ticket is more is more expensive.

I also paid around 830 dollars when I changed my ticket because of family emergency.

I was supposed to leave the 7th of July but had to change my flight for the 29th of June.
I told the customer service that my brother was in the hospital and may not make it, but I was charged anyway because the flight that I took was more expensive.
The irony was that I got the same seat number of the flight that I was supposed to take, but I paid more for it
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM

I took American Airlines not Air france..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -