Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wanted to share my wonderful weekend with you… (Kavey)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 08:33 AM
Kavey

Hello! <BR> <BR>Had a party this weekend to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary, and also my 30th birthday later in the month… <BR> <BR>Just wanted to pass on some ideas which made the weekend more fun… <BR> <BR>Firstly we decided to hold a competition, like the old Great Egg Race. <BR> <BR>We called it:: <BR> <BR><I>Kavey and Pete's Grand Anniversary Competition <BR>Aerial Combat: The Challenge of the Skies</I> <BR> <BR>We gave each team packs containing things like 4 sheets of paper, roll of sellotape, paperclips, cotton hanky, box of matches, foil, cotton, paper streamers, crayons and elastic bands. <BR> <BR>We had a few different competitions they could enter (but if they made more than one craft it had to be from their same one pack of contents). <BR> <BR>We had <BR> <BR><I>Speedy Gonzales</I> <BR>Craft which covers 30 feet (airborne) in the fastest time (thrown and propelled by e.g. elastic band). <BR> <BR><I>Going the Distance - Self Propelled</I> <BR>Craft which travels the greatest distance under its own power. Launch block <BR>provided with hooks for elastic bands. Flame to light fuel powered crafts will be provided. Fuel can only be whats in your packs. <BR> <BR><I>Going the Distance - Thrown</I> <BR>Craft which travels the greatest distance on being thrown from your hand. <BR> <BR><I>The Stamina Test: Keeping it up</I> <BR>Craft which stays aloft for the longest time. <BR> <BR><I>The "All your planes are belong to us" Prize</I> <BR>An extra prize goes to the craft which most catches the judge's eyes during <BR>competitions - don't forget Kavey likes keewte, keewl and colourful things <BR>and dippiness such as loop the loop... <BR> <BR>I got a whole lot of prizes for 1st, 2nd, and an extra Dunce prize… <BR> <BR>It got everyone into teams and fiddling away. <BR> <BR>We also did an internation buffet which was the bit I thought you might find fun to do (if you haven’t already done it)... it was something I used to do with school friends many years back… <BR> <BR>We called it: <BR> <BR><I>Kavey's International Birthday Buffet <BR>The Challenge of the Stomach!</I> <BR> <BR> <BR>We ended up with: <BR> <BR>Thailand <BR>Thai Green Chicken Curry (with peas, bamboo shoots, spring onions) <BR> <BR>India <BR>Mutter Paneer (Indian Cheese and Peas Curry), Raita (Yoghurt, Cumcumber and spices), Pilau Rice, Lamb Kebabs <BR> <BR>China <BR>Fried Veg Rice, Mushroom thing in sauce <BR> <BR>Middle East <BR>Tabouleh, and some other thing also delicious <BR> <BR>Mexico <BR>The thing which chilli con carne came from, the original with chocolate and chilli and mince meat, fresh home made guacamole, and salsa, corn fritters, corn chips <BR> <BR>Greece <BR>Lamb meatballs <BR> <BR>Italy <BR>Garlic ciabatta, home made Lasagne, home made tiramisu <BR> <BR>Britain <BR>Cheeses of Wales, Scotland and UK, pork pies, pates etc <BR> <BR>Australia <BR>Grilled (rather than BBQ) shrimps and lamb chops <BR> <BR>Caribbean <BR>Banana Cake <BR> <BR>Canada <BR>Rum flambed bananas (not sure why he decided this was Canadian but was lush) <BR> <BR>Germany <BR>German sausages brought back by friend who went there for work last week <BR> <BR>Turkey <BR>Baklava <BR> <BR>We also had lots of other bits and pieces, a chocolate cake with fresh strawbs and cream, some fairy/ butterly cakes and so on <BR> <BR>My friends are not by any means all into cooking but all made the effort because I asked and we all had so much fun, and I think a few people thought again about new destinations for the next holiday! <BR> <BR> <BR>Happy September! <BR> <BR>Kavey <BR> <BR>PS If you find this post boring then please skip to something else, please don't ruin things by posting nasty messages!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:04 PM
Nora

Kavey, do you have the recipe still for the green chicken curry, it sounds delicious.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:20 PM
xxx

SHE'S Back!<BR>WHO CARES?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
April

First of all, XXX, you should have taken a moment to notice that Kavey's post is from September 2001--someone else brought it up--was it you? Are you that sad and jealous that you have to start trouble by initiating a smear campaign on a decent person??? Shame on you!<BR><BR>Do you idiots realize the damage you do when you childishly post trash? You chase the really good, reliable posters like Kavey away! Those of us who love travel and who have worthwhile questions and seek interesting answers won't let you--with nothing of importance to contribute--ruin this forum!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:32 PM
WHY?

XXX: WHY would you bother to bring up this post just to slam someone who's at least got some useful info to impart? You're infantile and boring and wouldn't know a wonderful weekend if you met one - is the plumbing malfunctioning in the trailer park again this evening?